prologue

Victoria's POV

I watched as my mother twisted her palms.

Murmurs rose and fell in the dining room while the men had been sitting for hours now.

"Sweetheart, take them the fresh pot of coffee," said mother.

I walked towards the edge of the dining room while feeling disgusted with the cloud of cigarette smoke hovering over the table.

I wish this scent would fade away yet it's impossible knowing that it was held captive by the closed windows and drapes.

"Wolves are conquering everything," said my father, stopping abruptly when he saw me in the doorway.

"Would anyone like more coffee?" I asked, holding up the sterling pot.

Some men looked down, but others coughed.

"Young lass you're turning into a beautiful butterfly," said a friend of my father's from the village.

"And I heard that you're talented."

"Indeed, she is!" father said. "She has a very unique style and she's exceptionally smart," he added with a wink making me blush uncontrollably.

"So she takes after her mother then," joked one of the men and everyone laughed.

"Aye, tell me little girl," said the man who sat at the far end of the table before sipping on his coffee and staring back at me.

"What do you think of this king who hated witches and humans to death?"

"Well," interrupted by my father quickly.

"That's not really conversation for a young girl, now, is it?"

"It will be conversation for everyone, Victor, young and old," said the man who look depress and heartbroken.

"Besides," he said, smiling bitterly.

"It's not as if the king didn't announce it all throughout the villages? Knowing that we are hunted and killed, can we still consider letting are children die unaware." My father shifted in his chair.

"What do I think about the king?" I paused, avoiding eye contact with my father.

"I think King Luke and his son Lukas are bullies, I think we should show them that they shouldn't be allowed to come and take what they pleased and-"

"That's enough, princess. Leave the pot of coffee and join your mother in the kitchen."

"But it's true!" I pressed. "It's not right."

"Enough!" said my father.

So without pressing the arguments, I returned to the kitchen, stopping short to eavesdrop.

"Don't encourage her, Clad. The girl is so headstrong, it scares me to death," father said.

"Well," the man replied, "now we see how she takes after her father, don't we? You've raised a real warrior."

My father was silent.

The gathering ended and the men left the house at alternating intervals, some through the front door and some through the back.

-

"Mother look at the moon, it can mirror the same harrowing emotion that I have within me right now." I gripped the window while having different thoughts and some hopeful ideas.