50

The dark room for investigation was hidden inside the palace. Krid held the door open, while he stood a little to the side, protecting himself as much as possible from the smell of murder. And he kept his attention firmly on Lukas, who stood firm, with anger swirling in his eyes.

 “Lukas,” he said. “No one is aware about the body but only the two guards who found her. Now, we have guards front and back as you requested. The others are settled in all areas in the palace. Trying to find who put her in the west area of the palace.”

 “Good, make sure that no one will know about this.”

 “Yes Lukas, though I've tried to find clues to bring me toward a conclusion. I still found none.” Edward appeared a little stressed. Impulsively, Victoria touched his hand. He took a couple of deep breaths and stared at her.

  Lukas tapped him on the cheek, assuring him that it would be fine.

 “The enemy is someone we can't underestimate, he knows where to strike and where to put the body without alarming the guards.”

  Lukas gestured, and Victoria let go of Edward and followed Lukas into the room.

 “If the enemy set this up, he’ll know already that we found her,” said Victoria, when the door was shut behind them.

 “Yes,” Krid said. “Still, no sense advertising it if he doesn’t.” He paused in the hallway and looked at her. “I think you do understand people better than I. So do you think he would hire someone to do this for him?

  Do you think the enemy could be operating on his own?”

  He underestimated himself, she thought, but put her instincts to work anyway.

 “No one can work alone when it comes to killing and being able to stay hidden until now. I think the enemy is not alone and some of his men are within the castle.” She closed her eyes, trying to make it fit. “There’s no way he'd know where to put the body while no one witnessed him putting it there.

  And it's a bit suspicious to know that the time when the guards are called by their superior, with a little time, they came back finding the abandoned dead body on their post.” That was right.

 “So. . .

  I'm sure he has someone else with him that does his dirty work—but not for gold coins, I think. Someone who owes him perhaps—or maybe blackmailed or someone who hates you, Lukas.”

 "I agree,” said Edward.

 “There’s no way a person in his right mind will do this. As far as I can see, there was no emotion, but there was personal involvement in it. It's not just doing a job. When the guard gave me this note, everything was clear, he wanted something from you Lukas, and that's your mate and our future queen, Victoria...”

 “Krid!” Edward said. “How can you say that?”

  “Though I don’t understand the killer at all,” disavowed Edward. “Add the people who are helping the enemy to that, and you can count me out.”

  There was a little pause. “But I think the little witch got him nailed. She

  Sounds right about the killer, too.”