44

The VICTIM'S POV

Swallowing, Kia studied the dancing, flickering shadows cast on the floor as the lightning flashed. Another storm was rolling in. The thunder crashed and she had to bite her lip to keep from shrieking.

“You okay?” her mate asked softly, stroking a hand down her arm.

“Yes I am, just jumpy,” she said, trying to smile.

Trying, failing miserably.

“I’ll light a couple of candles before I go downstairs,” he said. “That will help.”

Normally, the soft golden glow of candlelight would have helped, but some reason, tonight that soft, golden glow didn’t seem so warm and welcoming—it was sinister, secretive, hiding something in its shadows.

Kia huddled by the counter, arms wrapped around her midsection as she watched her mate grab a lamp from some junk drawer on the island.

As he left the room, that taunting, numbing fear wrapped a fist around her throat and tried to choke her.

She squeezed her eyes closed.

I can do this. I don’t have to be afraid … I don’t have to live like this,

I don’t and I haven’t.

As the lights came on, flooding the house, she sucked in a deep breath and sighed.

“Oh, shit.” Light-headed with relief, she pushed off the counter and staggered a little with her first step.

Light. Sweet, bright light. Moving toward the arched entryway, she started for the stairs.

“I’m going to get out of these fear and doubts,” she muttered to herself.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed the door to her mate's office was open.

Frowning, she stopped.

He never left that door open.

Never.

Not when he was working.

Not when he was sleeping.

He didn’t leave it open.

Her heart bumped against her ribs and she backed up a step. As she did, she saw … something. Something spreading across the gleaming, golden wooden floors of his office. Red.

An ugly, red stain.

No.

Hearing the footsteps behind her, she spun around and saw her mate. He caught sight of her face and concern flashed through his eyes.

For a few seconds, just the sight of him made her feel better. But then his eyes flicked past her shoulder, landing on something behind her.

That dark, ugly red stain, perhaps. She didn’t know and she couldn’t turn to look, because there was a shadow coming up behind him, huge and dark and looming.

Screaming out his name, she tried to knock him out of the way.

But she was too far away, and far too slow.

As his long, lean body went sprawling on the floor, Kia stumbled to a stop. With her heart knocking against her ribs, and her throat trying to close down on her, she stared at the dark, faceless shadow.