26

Victoria woke with a jerk, frowning as she looked out the window. Sunrise was just touching the horizon out the east window, but she stared at the ceiling, and her body still vibrating from her orgasm.

It was a dream. Just a dream. It had to be.

She rubbed her forehead and groaned. It hadn’t been a dream though, and somehow she knew it. She wanted to pound on something. It wasn’t fair. She knew he’d been here. Knew it. In this bed. In her body. He’d made love to her—no! she mean he fuck her and it had been…extraordinary. She’d never had a male who was so determined to give her pleasure.

To make sure it was right for her.

True Mates do that.

It was as if a voice echoed in her mind. No. They were not True Mates. She wasn’t going to lose herself.

Immerse herself in him until there was nothing of her left.

It isn’t like that.

Victoria sat up holding her head, wanting him out of it, and fought his soft words even the seduction.

Damn him. She wasn’t going to fall for that!

But why is it only one person is in her head, Lukas.

Lukas is not the same. The crown has changed him or maybe he's different all along as she feared he is. The fire is in him, the fire that will burn all the world.

He's a murderer but why am I letting him burn me instead?

Lukas is still a murderer that is what she want to believe, he will never change his blood of Luca and he will remain the same, he will sit on the throne filled with thorns and dead bodies.

The only person that can eliminate him is her.

The only person who has not changed is her. She's still the little girl in a dusty room, alone, forgotten and out of place but why does she felt, Lukas is like her.

She don’t want to be a queen of everything, mother to a son or a daughter, wife to a king like Lukas who loves killing, and still she cannot find it in herself to smile.

Still she make nothing.

Still she's empty.

And she is no one of any importance.

She is nothing.

Pure, fresh, warm sunlight. Sunlight that she could bask in day after day if she got her freedom from her doubts, sunlight to drown out the endless dark of her pain.

It leaked in through the heavy drapes, smearing itself across the room in thick lines. Gingerly, Victoria stretched out a hand.

Her hand was pale, seems weak and small but her hands can hold a sword, but there was something about it, something beyond the bruises, cuts and scars, that seemed beautiful and new in the morning light.

She ran to the window and nearly ripped the curtains from their hangings as she opened them to the gray mountains and bleakness of the north. The guards positioned beneath the window didn’t glance upward, and she gaped at the bluish-gray sky, at the clouds slipping on their shoes and shuffling toward the horizon.

I will not be afraid.

For the first time in a while, the words felt true.

Her lips peeled into a smile, she's trying to elimate the doubts and move forward.

She led herself toward the bathroom where a hot bath waited for her but suddenly, as she step forward a memory made her shivered.

.