49

“Now, I want to tell you that I want you out of this case and I want you to step aside and let me and the others handle the problem.”

 Now Victoria’s laugh was harsh. 

 “But you don’t really know me, do you? I want to help Lukas and I won't let you dictate me! I have won my own men against that old man. And now you want to retrieve them back? For what? Because of that stupid thing my parents told you? I can fight without using any witch abilities so don't underestimate me!”

 “I would choose you.” The words were out before he thought better of them, and then there was no way to pull them back.

 Silence stretched between them. Perhaps the floor will open and he’ll plummet to his death, he thought hopefully.

 “As your third in command?” Her voice careful. She was offering him a chance to right the ship, to take them back to familiar waters.

 And a fine third in command she is.

 There could be no better leader.

 She may be prickly, but that’s what his kingdom needs.

 So many easy replies.

 Instead he said, “As my queen.”

 He couldn’t read her expression. Was she pleased? Embarrassed? Angry? Every cell in his body screamed for him to crack a joke, to free both of them from the peril of this moment. But he wouldn’t. He was still a privateer, and he’d come too far.

 “Because I’m a dependable soldier,” she said, but she didn’t sound sure. It was that same cautious, tentative voice, the voice of someone waiting for a punch line, or maybe a blow. “Because I know all your secrets and I am chosen by the moon as your mate.”

 “I do trust you more than myself sometimes—and I think very highly of myself.” Hadn’t she said there was no one else she’d choose to have her back in a fight?

 But that isn’t the whole truth, is it, his great cowardly lump. To hell with it.

 “I would make you my queen because I want you. I want you all the time. And I won't let any harm come unto you.”

 She rolled onto her side, resting her head on her folded arm. A small movement, but he could feel her breath now. His heart was racing. 

 “As your third in command, I should tell you that it would be a terrible decision.”

 He turned onto his side. They were facing each other now. 

 “As your king, I should tell you that no one could dissuade me. No prince and no power could make me stop wanting you.”

 Lukas felt drunk. Maybe unleashing his desire had loosed something in his brain. She was going to laugh at him. She would knock him senseless and tell him he had no right. But he couldn’t seem to stop.