8. Humbled-

Joel, Bobby, and Cole would be leaving primary school in a couple of months. Poor Lizzy would spend her last year differently than she was used to. Perhaps, alone. She was afraid that this day would come. It was inevitable. She knew she'd enjoy less without them around, even the annoying parts had been fun. She remembered how she got up to this point, clinging on with the boys as company. It was when Joel had asked her to play at the playground that this friendship blossomed.

She couldn't imagine being apart from them now. And even if Bobby tried so hard to get rid of her, so many uncountable times, she knew she was going to miss their antiques.

'Can't you ... like ... shoo her away? She's ... She's tailing us ... She's literally tailing us,' Bobby said leering behind to see none other than Lizzy. He was walking side by side with Joel and Cole, heading around the school building to get to the playground in the backyard area.

'She's my neighbour, Bobs,' said Joel for the hundredth time. 'She's our friend now.'

'How many times do I have to tell you! Girls are not allowed to play with us! Now look what you've done!' Bobby shot a glare.

'Unless,' Cole started while sniggering, 'YOU tell everyone she's your girlfriend.' Bobby laughed at this remark.

'Lizzy's not my girlfriend! She's my friend! That means your friend too!' Joel defended himself, clenching his fists.

The three of them stared back at Lizzy. She was still there, following them quietly; obediently.

Bobby pulled the two beside him in by their scruffs. He whispered, 'What if we make a run for it by that corner before the playground? Maybe we'll shake her off our backs for once ...'

'That's a great idea, Bobs,' Cole answered with interest.

Joel didn't know what to say. It felt like something bad would come up from this. He had that hunch about him that doing this would hurt Lizzy Clark's feelings, but he didn't know what to say to them. By the looks of it, Bobby was determined to make this work. The dark haired boy and the other glanced back and forth between Lizzy and the approaching corner. Lizzy was still walking. In the corner of the school building, the boys turned. They checked if Lizzy had turned a corner too.

Right then—there—Bobby pulled Cole and Joel's arms, running. They ran as fast as they could and turned for another corner. They made it to the school's playground. Feeling victorious, Bobby screamed wildly and ran to the monkey bar. Following behind him was Cole cheering on this victory. No Lizzy in sight. It was a satisfactory success that they finally got rid of the girl with a long ponytail.

'Finally!' Bobby said, hanging by the bars and breathing in the fresh spring air.

Cole was excitedly climbing up to the top part of the bar. Joel followed; but for a moment, he looked at the corner, thinking if Lizzy would appear and be mad for being left behind. But she didn't appear. He felt bad about doing so, but he held the guilt inside and joined them to play by the bars. It was only when school ended, he was waiting for her to come out from class, but Lizzy's nose didn't show.

'Hey,' Joel said to Ann. 'Where's Lizzy?'

'She went home, she said she's sick.'

'She was fine during the free period ...'

'After the free period,' Ann said. 'The nurse has the slip.'

Joel felt guilt washing all over. Rightly at the house, he visited Lizzy's home. His mum left him by the front door of the Clarks, while mum got into the house, he belled the Clarks. Amber opened the door. The woman was happy to see him, as always. She let him in.