17. Let Them Know-

Lizzy sat at a desk in her bedroom. She repeatedly clicked her pen, thinking of what to write. Then she stopped -- with the tip of her ballpoint pen out.

She wrote on her paper.

Dear Joel,

School is alright as usual. I have my friends at school. Since we're about to be leavers, we always have brunch parties at each other's house. Sometimes I go out with Cole and Bobby to the park and the city, seeing anything we can do to have fun.

I have to tell you what happened yesterday, though.

Yesterday, I was playing in the park with Bobby and Cole. Then Sam Lorry's gang were there. I jumped at Sam and he hit me with his elbow! But... I didn't bleed, the pain poofed away. Another odd thing is that I did something. I panicked when he hit me and I screamed. I think I turned some snow into ice, but then seconds later the ice is gone and Sam's gang runs away. I sound so crazy. And I thought I was. But I'm sure I just did magic.

Maybe you can find out how weird things keep happening like this. Can you ask anyone at Hogwarts?

Lizzy

She folded the letter and put it inside an envelope with a seal. She carried it and knocked on mum's door. 'Can you take me to the owl post office?' asked Lizzy, opening the door to see her mum, sitting by a desk in her home office, writing an email.

'Alright, I'll get ready after this,' mum said as she was busily typing.

***

Next morning, Joel the owls came rushing into the Great Hall. One letter dropped by Joel's stew.

Joel's eyes beamed and opened it right away.

Terry saw him opening up a letter as he was grabbing a sandwich. 'Letter from girlfriend, I see?' said Terry before munching a sandwich.

'Shut up Terry, she's a friend,' he said, opening up the letter eagerly.

'Oh your neighbour lass?' spoke Michael.

'Shush,' he said and read it eagerly.

'Mates!' exclaimed Padma, arriving to sit with the boys. She brought her homework and self ink quill on hand. 'Please help me with this potions essay. I don't understand.'

Joel stayed on reading his letter, but his ears listened.

'Al-alright, what is it, Padma?' asked Anthony.

Padma proceeded to build up her question to be discussed. The boys listened intently.

Joel finished reading the letter and folded it to put into his pocket. He joined the conversation. Then the group disbanded and headed to their first class, charms class with Professor Flitwick.

Joel sat by a desk next to Terry. He intended to focus on Professor Flitwick, who was explaining the theory of unlocking charm. But he had read all of it beforehand, and all of Profesor Flitwick's words sounded exactly verbatim to the books. His mind started wondering about Lizzy's request.

Who should he ask it to? Would his mates know why things keep happening weirdly and being so forgetful before that Hogwarts letter? He watched Professor Flitwick walk and talk, passing students' desks, explaining how the students should cast the spell. Should he ask Professor Flitwick after class? The professor was his head of house, after all.

Everyone took out their wands. Professor Flitwick gave them each a locked padlock to practice the charm on until the end of class session. People tried. The ravenclaws were ambitious, receiving an annoyed leer and comments from the Hufflepuffs who were in this class as well.