♡ ᴛᴇᴀᴄᴜᴘꜱ || ʙᴀʀʙᴀᴛᴏꜱ ♡

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

Madam Scream's, a popular bakery known for its famous sweet and savoury foods that are beloved by everyone in the Devildom. It's no surprise that Barbatos had asked you to have an afternoon tea date with him here, he's a man who's familiar with desserts of high standards and wants only the best for you to enjoy.

You and the butler sit face to face on a table for two, slowly reading through the small menu before making a decision and having to order at the counter. For a place that's recognised for fine delicacies, there's no wonder why most of the food here's slightly overpriced.

"Barbatos, have you thought of your order yet?" you poke your nose out the menu and sneak a peek at what he's doing.

He nods and rests his head on his hand, "I've made a decision, how about you?"

Very rarely, almost never, does the butler ask for a day off from his duties but whenever he does, the demon prince always grants him permission to do just so. Choosing to have quality time with you was the perfect way to spend his rare break in his eyes, and you don't want him having second thoughts about that choice.

"I haven't just yet. Sorry, I'll be quick," you skim through the menu again and hope that your eyes will land on something enticing sooner or later. "Everything's just a bit expensive..."

Barbatos' light laughter echoes through your ears, "Take your time, (MC). There's no need to rush. You don't need to let the prices trouble you either, everything will be my treat today. Pick anything you like."

The offer's way too kind, enough to make you feel guilty for him to have to do that for your sake. It's his day off after all and you shouldn't be the one being coddled with affection. "No, Barbatos, I can pay for myself. In fact, I should be the one treating you. This is supposed to be a day where you don't have to worry about anything for once."

"Nonsense, I'll be happy to do this for you, (MC). I can even learn a thing or two about you, perhaps about what you like to have for dessert. I insist, pick anything that you want, no matter the expense," he patiently waits for you to come up with a decision.

You're hesitant to oblige, contemplating whether or not it would be rude to actually spend his Grimm like he asked. "I guess I'd like to try the macarons?" you let it sound more like a question than an actual answer thanks to you being still a bit indecisive.

Barbatos doesn't look into the uncertainty of your voice. Confrontation isn't how you want to start this date and he knows you well enough to leave you be. Besides, it's only settling with an idea for what small snack to have for afternoon tea, there isn't much to look into anyway.

"Excellent choice," he seems happy with the dessert of your preference. "I adore Madam Scream's signature macarons myself. It's thrilling to know that we have quite similar tastes."

"Great minds think alike," you beam, lightening up the mood even more with a bit of light-hearted teasing. It humours the butler plenty and it bribes a small smile to form from his lips.

As he disappears from his chair and heads for the counter, you spot an average sized circular mint box with a large light blue bow decorating its top. It hides behind the leg of the chair, intentionally meant to be tucked away from sight. It would've been successful if not for the fact that you were bored and couldn't help but look around the place.

A box... A present, maybe? But for who?

Barbatos returns to the table and your gaze follows his every move as he takes a seat, watching him completely ignoring the box's existence as he does so. His silence around the topic of the gift fuels your curiosity even further and it's almost impossible to keep your mouth shut for much longer.