Questions - Chapter 7

I know for a fact after recommending the place that this university has a writing center. I'm looking at some dude's paper and it's like he didn't even try to spell the words right nor did he read the book. I only skimmed the assigned novel and it's like I have a better understanding than most of these kids.

"You look troubled"

I look up to Ms. Hart who's in the same position from last week. She wore back heels that matched her dress. It looked to fit her body having only known this after she'd taken her coat off before she sat. After a moment of silence she lifts her brow still looking at me and i remembered then i should give an answer, "I'm just frustrated at...," I look down at the paper turning it back to the front to find it's owner.

"Finn Growman?"

"Ahh him, he never pays attention in class yet aspires to be the best known novelist."

"Is it his first year?"

"No, he put off taking his required courses so now he's in his third year struggling to keep up. I'll have Mr. Lui checks up on him just in case but I've seen so many students take that dangerous path and wind up dropping out."

"It's really mostly about motivation I guess. He could still become a novelist without a degree if he worked hard to do so."

She drops the paper she'd been studying onto her desk, turning in her chair to fully look at me, "What's your motivation?"

"To be successful"

The middle of her brows crease as she pauses before asking another question, "For whom?"

"...Myself of course. I want to be stable after I leave college. I even have a few jobs secured. All I have to do is choose after next semester."

She hums, intertwining her hands together looking as if she's trying to keep herself still, "Are you staying in Helena?"

"Oh yea, my best friend said she'd loan out her guestroom for my stuff after graduation while I look for a place on my own."

"What about your family?"

"What about it"

"That part of your application was mainly left blank. Well except for a woman named Rory but you had listed her as a guardian but not a parent."

"My birth parents were too unreliable to put on important information. If the school needed to call someone for me I trust her more than anyone."

"Had she raised you?"

"Practically... actually yes she did."

"Am I asking too much?"

"No it's fine, I don't mind answering any questions you have. Though i would like you to keep this information to yourself. Rumors can lead to misguided details and then I'll end up being known as an orphan."

"I don't trust the people I work with enough to gossip like that. And it's like you speak with experience of this happening."

"Only once but I made sure to set people straight. While I'm talking about myself, what about you?"

She looks contemplative raising her hand to push a strand of her dark red hair that moved in front of her face out of the way, "I can't say i've been called an orphan though 'bitch' or 'cold hearted' might've been thrown at me"

"Why?"

"Well I'm not the most friendly person. I mean I only found out the repairman who's been working here for nearly fifteen years was Lucas. And I know that simply because you made the effort to introduce yourself, something I'd never do unless necessary."

I smile remembering how he told of his wife and kids after he's warmed up to me, "I just thought it'd be weird seeing him so many times without knowing who he was. Plus I hadn't had hot chocolate in a long time and he offered some when I kept staring."

When my gaze finds hers again she now has a fitted smile showing pearly white teeth, "You seem to stare a lot no matter the object or person"

I let out a breath i didn't even know i held in before responding, "I know"