Stranger Danger - Chapter 42

I was a quaking wreck from tripping at least a thousand times on my way to her. I'd even stalled to debate the issue, which had taken nearly thirty minutes of my time. I know I shouldn't hide the truth, and doing so could jeopardize our already shaky relationship. It's not fragile, but it hasn't really taken root yet.

She may be normal with making it known that we've been trying to date, but this could cause problems for both of us. I heard some more rumors about the other teacher who'd been seeing a student, which Faye had forgotten to explain, and some of the school's board members had him fired because of it. I'd hate to be the reason she was fired if we're not going to last long. But, surely, we will.

On the bright side, I'd be on the polar opposite side of the office. Even better, because Marshal's office is on the second floor, I'll mostly be working beside him and won't have to see Edith.

I slowed down but still arrived at her door faster than I had planned. She seemed pleased to see me and immediately paused her work to attend to me, "Hey, I assumed you'd be out for a while. But now we can go to lunch unless you're busy."

Maybe I could tell her then when she's relaxed, "Sure why not."

"Why not indeed lovely. Oh and you just missed the cop. He claimed it would only be a matter of time before they apprehended him. The tapes in the corridors also revealed his identity. Turns out he was tampering with a handful of gas valves, and a few people were either smoking or had candles lit, which caused the fire."

"Although, no motive has been discovered as of yet?"

"Unfortunately, no. We'll have no idea why he did this until they find him. I suppose, if he despised my instruction so much, you'd think he'd have a better strategy to get rid of me after about two years."

"What if it was associated with me?"

"Didn't you say you didn't know him?"

"Yes, but don't forget you're not the grossest thing here to pin after."

"Wow, thank you so much for the confidence booster."

"What I mean is that you are extremely exquisite, and there is no way you haven't left a trail of heartbroken kids who are still obsessed with you."

"Ah, that's better said. And that is difficult to imagine because I am not the nicest teacher, particularly when it comes to evaluations. Now let's get out of here before someone bothers me," She groaned and cursed when someone knocked on the door interrupting us, "God damn it."

The woman in question had an arrogant stare, but with a mesmerizing fixture, she looked at Faye with cause. She had an even more stricter air than Faye and it gave me chills to look up at the older woman. There was a switch in mood as the two women only stared at each other, neither inclined to engage in conversation.

"What is this?," The other woman asked as she took a deep breath and gazed at me.

"Don't take a gander at her."

"Well, I was paying proper attention to you, but you've not said much," The woman flipped her hair and folded her arms, making Faye even angrier, "She's a bit of a cutie, wouldn't mind keeping her by my side too."

"Let's go, Cleo," She grabbed my arm, and I had no qualms about going along with her. In between pushing past the woman, she made a surprise grab after me, uttering in my ear, "I just love gearing her up."

"Faye, you could evaporate a titanic with that stare of yours, but I come in tranquility," She chuckled before stepping back and holding her hands in the air, " Also, I see a little gray in the red, babe, so you might want to touch it up. And with that Hart, I'll see you later."

"What do you mean, 'later on'? What are you even doing here?"

"You haven't heard? I'm taking over one of the vacant English positions as per the dean's offer. Aren't you glad you'll be seeing me more frequently now? Isn't that how it used to be? Sneaking around in the desperate hope of not being encountered?"

"Just like how you've done with countless women before and during our time together?""Still mad about that I see.""And who wouldn't be?""Why can't you forgive and forget? It was quite a while ago."I'd never seen her so agitated. We've only had minor squabbles over trivial matters, but she never got like this, "We should leave, come on," I was the one who seized Faye and led her out the exit this time, but of course, this woman had to have the final say."Goodbye Cleo~ I'll enjoy seeing you around as well."