Her Ghosts - Chapter 43

The waitress in writing down our selections said the usual and left as fast as she came. With the top notch service I hadn't gotten a chance to further ask Faye on the topic since I left it in the car. I fiddled with the napkin on my lap trying to stop my leg which didn't work.

I took a sharp inhale in and looked over at her surprised she'd already been looking at me, "Would you like to tell me about her?"

She looked me up and down then leaned over to place a hand on my leg that surprisingly stopped my movements, "Would you mind explaining why your leg hasn't stopped quaking? You've been fidgeting as well, and I know you're nervous because of recent events. But you can't be worried about someone you've never met."

I forget the presence of her hand until she squeezes my thigh as my leg starts to shake again, "And just how'd you figure that out? I could just be afraid that she'd be looking forward to seeing me again."

She didn't totally look convinced but took her hand off to lean back otherwise, "Nice turn around. That was Aella, a former girlfriend of mine from about six years ago. She vanished after I discovered her in my bed sleeping with some girl."

"Oh I'm sorry," She put a hand over mine this time with a leisurely smile.

"Don't be really. It was her choice to do that."

"...It didn't happen in the cabin right? That would be so cold-hearted."

There was a spark in her eyes that already warranted me what her answer was going to be but as it was said aloud made me feel all the world more special, "You're the first and only woman I've brought to the cabin. Yes, that might be hard to believe but It's equivalent to meeting my mother. I never wanted my previous girlfriends to think I was in love with them or that it was a long-term relationship. So I wasn't exactly hurt because I'd also been looking for a reason to break up with that malignant narcissist, but it was at the cost of replacing that bed that hurt me and my wallet."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Trust me, I am. I was very unstable with her. I didn't think things through and... We were planning to have a kid. I got Artificially inseminated and all that other stuff."

I had to double take her wondering if I heard right, "Wait...what? Just out of the blue? I thought you two weren't serious."

"I honestly don't know what we were. I was all over the place. She was the wrongful peak of my life to summarize it. To explain that though, before we met I was involved in a car crash and had to be prescribed some medicine. I was misusing my prescription alongside drinking and going out with her. Through some haze of events she mentioned wanting kids and if I'd be ok to carry. I stupidly said yes and later had a miscarrage because of the obvious facts," Her actions went limp as she must have recounted the heart aching events. I wanted nothing more than to smother her in hugs and kisses after learning such.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Or we could even wait until we're in private."

Her eyes were glossed over and the facade of a strong woman who was still strong but pecked down appeared. That was the Faye I grew to love. While I found her strict side very alluring, her vulnerable side showed me what she was really like, "No no, I'm fine now. I've recovered. I hope you don't think less of me because of this."

"I wouldn't ever think less of you Faye. And even if you've recovered that doesn't mean the ghost of your past isn't there."

"Thank you. Honestly that means a lot i haven't had or wanted to think about it but then again here she is bringing my past with her. However, after I got clean and realized my situation I then wanted to break up with her. Then the whole cheating thing happened and so on," The waitress only now came back with our drinks, mine being water and hers, some red concoction, "Sorry but I needed a drink if I was going to tell you all that. Wish she had brought it earlier though."

"How about we take this to go. We don't have to go back to the office but I definitely don't want to be squashed in the corner of a restaurant."

"I agree the seating is terrible this time. I can extend my lunch but I do have to get back whether I like it or not," She leaned forward to take ahold of my hand after taking a swig of her drink. It was something so simple but I found it to be incredibly sexy, "Plus I wouldn't mind spending more time with you," The atmosphere picked up especially as her heel grazed my leg underneath the table. She had a mischievous look in her eye and I'm only now realizing how fast she can easily get in the mood. "Well let us rendezvous elsewhere madam," That beautiful smile of hers hit gold at that and i woefully held my hand out for her to stand."Thank you, gentlewoman. And that's not the only thing I'll get going, love."