No Laughing - Chapter 16

I didn't think a day alone at her cabin sounded eerie. At least I didn't think so until I told Cherry about it. Hart didn't technically back out and I was still game to convince her this friday.

Cherry told me spending a 'day in nature' alone with her meant something else but we're doing this as semi-friends or professor-student friends. Well atleast i hoped she saw me as one since I'm not technically her student and letting someone in your home is something saved for people you trust.

And by Friday she finally agreed before I even stepped foot into her office. After that she put me straight to work not speaking any more on the subject. That was what I was here for anyway. Not to make friends.

But she'd be a nice addition to my already small inner circle, right? Am I overthinking this? No, I have the right mind to do so, especially since I'm the one who offered and pushed for it.

I flinched, hearing a slapping sound as Hart quickly left her chair, "What was that?"

She was transfixed, twirling the seat around, tilting it left and right then back and forth, "My chair just broke."

"It doesn't look like it," It was a simple leather bound office chair that seemed in prime condition other than that whatever that sound was. She sighs as if she did find something wrong looking at the other chair that's across the room. She'd told me the dean gave it to her and out of respect kept it in her office but didn't like using it.

"You heard the sound too, didn't you?"

"Yes but it's not falling apart from the looks of it."

"I'd rather not fall over in it-

In the midst of passing me to roll her chair to the otherside of the room her heel got stuck in the floorboard. I quickly leapt up hearing the woman gasp as she started to incline backwards just as i caught her.

Her expression screamed panic as she tried to find her footing but her heel remind where it was stuck, "Lean on me for a second i'll get it out."

She didn't have a choice since I moved quickly, lifting her leg alongside forcing her heel off the floor board. You'd think with all the revenue this school gets they'd have the best for their professors. The dean should've been more worried about this than that ugly chair.

As soon as it was free she'd let go of me resting herself upon her desk, "Do you want me to go get you another chair?"

"Thank you but No," she looked irritated and the response I was given answered that, "I will just use the other end of the couch."

I started to clear a few papers I had organized on the seating. There wasn't much space to begin with and even Hart said she loved the small space of her office but with little seating options she ended up inches away from me.

I thought about the chair in front of her desk, wondering if it's un pleasing to sit on so i could give her more space but didn't speak on it. I've just realized she's picky but that only means she knows what she dislikes and likes.

"Were you going to laugh?"

"I'd hate to have gone on your bad side if i did. But you predicted your own future there. You didn't twist an ankle or anything right?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you again for that."

"No need to thank me anyone would have done that."

"Trust me not everyone would."

"I'm pretty sure someone would help a falling or stuck person."

"I've already told you of my reputation here."

"Still that shouldn't permit them to be cruel. Do you even like working here?"

"Of course I do. My student's more than make up for the shade I get from other professors. I swear you get enemy's from just keeping to yourself all for nothing."

"...Do you wanna take breaking your chair and getting your heel stuck in the floor as a sign for a break?"

She sighs, crossing her legs and leaning back into the couch, "What do you have in mind."

"Nothing much just a walk, maybe who knows."