The Great Falling - Chapter 41

Faye paced in front of me and I was slightly nervous with the quiet swears she let out, "Why didn't you think to tell me? We could've been done with this since he most definitely is on my record of students."

"I didn't want you to worry Faye."

"What else had he done? Is that why we separated? I thought I had a good grip on you but then all of a sudden I didn't. Then I waited and kept waiting thinking you'd just lost your footing but that's what happened?"

I reached out for her and was grateful she stopped pacing to look at me. I glanced over to the two policemen who were engrossed in a conversation with my mother then back to her, "All that matters is that I'm fine now."

"Cleo honey please just don't keep things that are very important like that away from me. And we should go get you checked again. That might be why your having chest pain."

"Mom talked to you?"

"Briefly since she thought you wouldn't be convinced by her to get a checkup," She fiddled with my hair leaning in to kiss me. It was slow and sensual like the one we shared after she'd gotten home. And that was only because mom was preoccupied with some work thing, "Alright i'm gonna go apologize for storming off. Most likely they'll come by when I'm working and I'll give them everything I have on that boy."

"Mom looks a bit livid. I'm afraid to go talk to her."

"Well that was a scary factor to add onto that night. Are you sure your ok? I hope you feel like I'd be a good substitute to count on if Cherry or your aunt aren't available. And now also your mom."

"I do, trust me I did want to tell you but I just put it off til the last minute. Thank you though. I just can't wait for all of this to be settled."

____________

A day later and I was thinking I wouldn't be back on campus until next week but of course here I am. Edith better be glad this concerned my graduation status otherwise i would have been with Faye, "Well hey there, a good looking one was waiting for you to get here."

Weird thing to call me but it's totally fine. And boy can she talk. I don't even know why I need to know about her mom's hemorrhoids but whatever doesn't rock the boat is fine. I just need to just talk with her over these missing files she claims to be so important then I can go see Faye. Quick, simple, and easy, "Is your mind lost in the clouds?"

"Sorry what?"

"I've been pouring out my entire life to you and your not listening."

"Sorry again, just a bit sleepy. Y'know I wasn't supposed to be anywhere near here this week?"

"Oh sorry hun let's just get right on with this then."

I followed her into the office space provided and pulled up a chair beside her as she beckoned me to. She pulled up a few unimportant documents, in my opinion, and looked at me as if i should know the answer, "You really needed these? Couldn't you have found them on my record? I know I've put this information on a slip at least more than a few times while I was here."

"I couldn't find it. I regret bothering you on your days off."

"It's fine," That's a lie but why hurt someone's feelings over something uncomplicated, "Not to mention your better than what's his face next door so seeing you was better than them."

She brushed her hand up and down my upper arm creating goosebumps. It was an uncanny gesture that mixed up some of my feelings towards her but I couldn't help my next thought from rolling out, "How's your husband? And kids?"

"Oh Willis is doing great but Fred is getting on my overbearing nerves. Love them to death though."

"And... the husband?"

"We've divorced. Anyway, what about you? Have you found anyone... recently?"

"Yes," She bit her lip and we shared a look that I should've shut down the moment I realized what was about to happen. She started to lean forward and I was quick to slant backward but I didn't know I'd already been on the left edge of my chair. Somehow without me realizing it she'd already been so close and that literally led me to my demise on the floor.

"Oh! Are you ok? I thought..."

"I mean I'm in a relationship with someone else. I'm sorry. When I tried that first time with you and he came in I ultimately crossed you off."

"...That's fine. But I hope this doesn't stop you from working with us. ...And I'd rather you be a friend anyway."

"Alright friends, sure. I gotta... get going but I'm gonna email Mr. Marshall to say I'm on board," This was a decision I had already made earlier but why did I feel the need to tell her? And better yet, I won't just forget what happened.

"I'll get everything else sorted so I'll see you later Ms. King right?"

My mind was a million lightyears away from this whole incident. Should I tell Faye? Would she even want me to work here after I tell her? Edith leaned forward over her desk to where I moved and was about to reach for me but pulled back last minute. What deterred me the most was the amount of cleavage i was met with only noticing now how sorta provocative she dressed today rather than the casual wear from earlier, "Are we ok?,"

"Yep sorry we are. And uh see ya," I moved as fast as I could to the exit going to the next destination where Faye was. My heart was beating too fast and loudly for my liking as I exited the building. To top that off I had no idea how to just bring up something like that to Faye.