Chapter 4 - The Welcome Feast

When we got off the train, there was a lot of buzz about what happened.

Apparently, a Dementor had lingered longer in Harry, Ron, and Hermione's carriage and had resulted into Harry fainting. Luckily, a Professor was in their carriage and had cast a spell on the Dementor to leave them alone. Of course, none of those details stayed with Malfoy. The only thing retained in his mind was that Harry Potter had fainted.

After arriving at the Great Hall, the new students were sorted to their houses. Astoria Greengrass, Daphne's younger sister, was sorted to Slytherin. Much to Daphne's utter dismay.

Astoria was nothing like Daphne. The only thing they have in common is their surnames, family, and now, their Hogwarts House.

Daphne was blonde and blue-eyed, while Astoria had black hair and brown eyes. Daphne is nice, while Astoria, based on the few encounters I had with her, is not. And while Daphne tends to not flaunt her blood status, Astoria loves to remind everyone that she is a pureblood.

Honestly, she's much like a female version of Malfoy in terms of personality. In short, they're both horrible.

"Really, does she not badger me enough at home? Now I have to stay in the same space as her even in Hogwarts?" Daphne huffed as she picked on her food.

"What house would you expect her to be sorted in, Daph? She's your sister, of course she'd be in Slytherin." I said to her, stuffing food down my throat.

"Siblings don't necessarily get sorted into the same house." Blaise said as he chewed his food.

"Well, I suppose Y/N's right in saying Astoria belongs in Slytherin." Daphne scowled. "She's definitely all those negative Slytherin traits the other houses all accuse us of being."

Our conversation was disrupted by the loud sniggering of Malfoy and Theo. The two had their backs turned from us and was facing the Gryffindor table.

"Potter! Potter!" Malfoy called out.

I saw Harry and Ron turn their attentions to him.

"Is it true you fainted? I mean you actually fainted?" He sniggered. Theo pretended to swoon, which earned another laugh from Malfoy.

"Shove off, Malfoy." Ron said as he pushed Harry on the back to turn away from the idiot.

"Can't believe he fainted." Malfoy was still laughing as he faced us once again.

"That's rich coming from someone who used me as a shield to protect himself from a Dementor." I scoffed.

"Shut up, Silvermade. That never happened." He scowled.

"Right. Just as it never happened that you cowered in fright." I said, ignoring his deathly glares now thrown my way.

"What an idiot." I mumbled, mostly to myself seeing as Malfoy was now amusing himself with whatever topic Theo and Blaise are engaging him in to avoid us fighting.

The rest of the night was uneventful, aside from a few announcements made by Dumbledore about the new lovely Hogwarts security placed by the Ministry (sarcasm intended), the appointment of another new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor — Remus Lupin — and Hagrid's new position as the Professor for Care of Magical Creatures.

I was delighted for all these news except for the first one. The feeling of dread, hopelessness, grief, sadness, and despair the Dementor we encountered at the train still very fresh to me.

After the feast, all students were ushered to their respective houses. The Slytherins of course, having our dormitory in the dungeons did far more walking than the other houses. After saying the password to a specific blank wall, the doors leading up to the common room finally appeared. The Slytherin house members dispersed, off to do their own things. I lingered longer in the common room to write a letter to my parents while Daphne and Pansy went on ahead to unpack their things.