Chapter 94 - The Housecleaning

"I want all of you straight to bed. No talking." Mrs. Weasley said as we reached the landing of the staircase that lead to the bedrooms. "Off to bed. Now."

Mrs. Weasley turned on her heels and walked away, her footsteps heavy. There was nothing we could do but follow.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I entered the bedroom in silence as Fred and George walked up to the upper floor. There was a bathroom connected to the room we were in, so I was grateful for a few moments of privacy. My head felt heavy at the overwhelming amount of information, but it also made me breathe somewhat easier. It's been nagging at me that I did not know anything that was happening, so finally getting our questions answered provided some sense of respite.

I got out of the bathroom in my pyjamas and laid down on the lower bed. After a few minutes, when all four of us had changed and now settled in our respective beds, Harry spoke.

"So, you haven't told me why I'm not supposed to mention Percy. I have a feeling that it's bad, based on Mrs. Weasley looking as if she was about to burst into tears when she said Percy's name earlier."

I suddenly remembered that I had no idea either. "Oh yeah. You haven't told me and Harry the reason, Ron."

Suddenly, two loud cracks were heard in the darkness of the room, and Ron started groaning in pain as the bunk he and Harry occupied squeaked.

"Ouch!"

"Keep your voice down, Ron, or Mum will be back up here." It was Fred's voice...or maybe George's. It was hard to see in the dark.

"You two Apparated on my knees!" Ron hissed in pain.

Two flickers of light emerged from the tip of Fred's and George's wands as they leapt down from the upper bunk. The twins then sat on the floor, looking at the four of us as we sat up on our own beds.

"I was just about to tell Harry and Y/N why they shouldn't mention Percy." Ron said. I can faintly see him rubbing his knees, thanks to the small light Fred's and George's wands provided.

"Oh. We were about to tell them that too." George said. "I remembered that we didn't manage to tell Y/N yesterday."

"So, what happened?" I asked.

"Well, Dad and Percy had a row." Fred said. "I've never seen Dad get into an argument like that. It's normally Mum who shouts, as you've all witnessed."

"It was the first week of the summer holidays." Ron said. "We were about to come and join the Order. Percy came home and told us he'd been promoted."

"You're kidding" Harry gaped.

"Yeah, we were all surprised." George said. "Percy got into a load of trouble about Crouch, there was an inquiry and everything. They said that Percy should've realized that Crouch wasn't himself and informed a superior. But you all know Percy, he was left in charge, he wasn't going to complain..."

"So how come he's been promoted then?" I asked.

"That's exactly what we wondered." Ron said. "He came home really pleased with himself and told Dad that he'd been offered a position in Fudge's office — Junior Assistant to the Minister — a really good one for someone who's only a year out of Hogwarts. He expected Dad to be impressed, I think."

"Only Dad wasn't." George said grimly.

"As we all know now, Fudge hates Dumbledore and wants no one in the Ministry having any contact with him." Fred said. "But Fudge knows that Dad's friendly with Dumbledore, and he's always thought Dad's a bit of a weirdo because of his fascination with Muggles."