Chapter 67 - Christmas Day

The holidays is the busiest time of the year, and I soon realized that it was no different whether I was at Silvermade Manor or at Hogwarts. The Yule Ball was just an addition to the things I needed to prepare for during the holidays, on top of the difficult errand of finding the perfect Christmas gifts for my friends.

I typically have help from either Pippy or my Mum when it comes to looking for presents, but I was on my own this year. I had to sneak a couple of times to go to Hogsmeade alone, and the few shops there definitely limited my gifting choices.

Aside from that, my Mum had finally replied to my letter asking for a dress to be sent for the Yule Ball. I was initially confused when Snowflake arrived with only a letter tied to her leg when I was expecting a package.

My dearest daughter,

Y/N, I hope you know that I take great care in choosing clothes for you to wear, especially during special occasions, and it really breaks my heart when you don't pay attention to these clothes I thoughtfully pick out.
I was wondering ever since as to why I never got a thank you for the package I sent through Pippy while you were at the Weasley's — only to realize just through your last letter that you never opened the box!
Anyway, please do check that package — if you still have it — and let me know if the gown is to your taste.
You only have five days left until the Yule Ball, and the perfect gown cannot be found in just five days — but I will. That is if you want me to scour all the shops in London because you have complaints.

We love you and miss you dearly. Christmas is a bit lonely without you at home.
- Mum

P.S. Your Father says 'Hi' and he wonders why you're only writing when you need something from us.

P.P.S Who are you going to the ball with? Is it Draco? I'm sure it's Draco! Tell me everything!

I sighed after reading the last part of my Mother's letter. I quickly wrote a reply while Snowflake drank from her water bowl and ate her owl treats.

Hi, Mum.

My bad about the package. I'll check it out right now. I'm sure I'd like it no matter what, so there's no need for you to 'scour all the shops in London.'
I've just been busy with a lot of things, but I'll try to write as much as I can from now on. Tell Dad I said 'Hi' too. I've sent out my gifts to you already and would soon come in the mail. Don't open them until Christmas.
I'm missing the both of you terribly during the holidays, even though you and Dad are only a 'bit' lonely without me.
And about my date to the Yule Ball — it's not Draco. He's going with Astoria Greengrass, and I'm going with Cedric Diggory.

I love you both.
- Y/N

I attached the letter to Snowflake's leg and she quickly took off. I immediately went to my dorm room and started rummaging through my trunk.

I had a faint memory of the package Pippy delivered to the Burrow the night before we left for Hogwarts. I stashed it inside my trunk and never bothered to even look at it, since it's not unusual for my mother to send me clothes that I have no reason to wear at school — the only time I found a use for one of these dresses she sends me was for last year's Halloween Party.

But I didn't know that this time it was for the Yule Ball — in my defence, I didn't even know then that there was going to be a ball this year.

Thirty minutes later, and about waist-deep into my undetectably extended trunk, I finally got a hold of the package. I had half a mind to climb inside my trunk to find it, but thankfully did not have to. After four years of stashing clothes away to be forgotten, I'm afraid what the entirety of my school trunk looked like inside.