Chapter 26 - The Whomping Willow

The excitement the Gryffindors had at winning the House Cup lasted for about a week. I understood the need for them to rejoice, but seeing as how my own house had lost and all the hard work that we had poured in was basically for naught, I felt somewhat bitter.

The Slytherins were all in agreement that Marcus Flint was truly at fault for the loss. The whole of Hogwarts had seen how many penalty shots he'd given to the Gryffindors, so there was really no way for him to dispute that.

Flint tried to have Professor Snape punish me for throwing a punch at him and for yelling at the pitch and calling him a fucking idiot, but seeing as Snape was mad that Slytherin had lost, and that he now had to relinquish the House Cup to Professor McGonagall, he ignored Flint's complaints, saying that he had better things to worry about than Flint getting beaten up by a girl.

Also, the realization I had that day about liking Draco was forcefully shoved and shelved away.

I still had no idea how to handle this feeling, but seeing as it's near impossible that Draco liked me too, I decided to keep my mouth shut — not wanting to admit it to myself once again. I convinced myself that it was just a momentary lapse of judgment and that I only got carried away with Draco's flirt jokes.

June came rolling in, bringing with it long sunny days. The grounds of Hogwarts turned into an inviting shade of green as it enticed students to lounge on the grass, or go for a swim at the Black Lake, or dangle their feet in if they're too afraid of the Giant Squid and whatever else lives in there.

But not one student did so. The end of the year exams were coming up and everyone was busy cooped up in either their common rooms or in the Library — cramming a year's worth of knowledge into their brains. Even the most laid back students were spotted working.

"Why are we doing this again?!" Theo whined.

Daphne rolled her eyes at Theo. "For our future, obviously."

"I might not have a future if I continue studying like this." Theo frowned, pushing his quill and notes away. "Because I'm dying over here."

We were in the Slytherin common room, buried under heaps of parchment and piles of books.

I had been forcing my brain to absorb as much information as it can for the past three hours as I studied for my exams tomorrow which were Transfiguration, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Charms.

I was stuck trying to predict outcomes by using probabilities and numbers for Arithmancy when I heard Theo whine again.

"I really feel like I've studied too much already!"

"Be quiet, Theo. The rest of us would like to concentrate." I said through gritted teeth.

Theo pouted a little. "What a nerd."

I gave him a passing glare and shifted my eyes onto my book. The numbers were already swimming around, so I decided to set aside Arithmancy.

I decided to double check my homework planner for the exam schedule I had drawn up for myself instead.

MONDAY
9:00 AM - ARITHMANCY
10:00 AM - ANCIENT RUNES
11:00 AM - TRANSFIGURATION
1:00 PM - CHARMS

TUESDAY
9:00 AM - CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES
10:00 AM - POTIONS
12 MIDNIGHT - ASTRONOMY

WEDNESDAY
9:00 AM - HISTORY OF MAGIC
1:00 PM - HERBOLOGY

THURSDAY
9:00 AM - DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS
1:00 PM - DIVINATION