Chapter 42 - The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare

It was the start of term, and I woke up to the soft hooting of my owl Snowflake, who had apparently entered our dorm for a morning treat.

I got out of bed just as Pansy and Daphne started stirring from their sleep. I took a long hot shower and finished brushing my teeth just as Pansy started knocking on the bathroom door for me to hurry it up.

I got dressed in my Slytherin uniform and robes, checked my timetable for Monday, grabbed the necessary books and put them in my bag, and placed my wand inside the inner pocket of my robes.

Daphne and Pansy were quick to finish getting ready, so we were down to the Great Hall in no time for breakfast. When we got to the Slytherin table, Draco, Blaise, and Theo were already there, eating their toasts and bacon.

"What's everyone's schedule?" Theo asked as he buttered a piece of bread.

We all took out our class sheets and placed them on the table to compare.

MONDAY
7:00 - 8:00 AM - BREAKFAST
8:30 - 9:30 AM - HERBOLOGY
10:00 - 11:30 AM - CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES
12:00 - 1:00 PM - LUNCH
1:30 - 2:30 PM - ARITHMANCY
3:00 - 4:00 PM - FREE PERIOD
4:30 - 5:30 PM - ANCIENT RUNES

TUESDAY
7:00 - 9:00 AM -BREAKFAST
9:30 - 11:30 AM - TRANSFIGURATION
12:00 - 1:00 PM - LUNCH
1:30 - 3:30 PM - CHARMS
4:00 - 5:30 PM - HISTORY OF MAGIC

WEDNESDAY
7:00 - 8:00 AM - BREAKFAST
8:30 - 10:30 AM - CHARMS
11:00 - 12:00 PM - HERBOLOGY
12:00 - 1:00 PM - LUNCH
1:30 - 3:00 PM - HISTORY OF MAGIC
3:30 - 5:30 PM - POTIONS
12:00 MN - 2:00 AM - ASTRONOMY

THURSDAY
7:00 - 9:00 AM - BREAKFAST
9:30 - 11:30 AM - POTIONS
12:00 - 1:00 PM - LUNCH
1:30 - 3:30 PM - DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS
4:00 - 5:30 PM - FREE PERIOD
12:00 MN - 2:00 AM - ASTRONOMY

FRIDAY
7:00 - 8:00 AM - BREAKFAST
8:30 - 10:30 AM - TRANSFIGURATION
11:00 - 12:00 PM - FREE PERIOD
12:00 - 1:00 PM - LUNCH
1:30 - 3:30 PM - DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS
4:00 - 5:30 PM - FREE PERIOD

"We've all got the same schedule!" Daphne cheered.

"Yeah, except for our elective classes." Pansy pointed out.

Draco and I took Arithmancy and Ancient Runes for electives, while the rest of our group had double Divination on those times instead.

My course load seemed better this year after dropping Divination, and since there will be no Quidditch practice after dinner, I won't be as exhausted as I was everyday like last year.

The first class of the day was Herbology, and after breakfast, the six of us made our way to greenhouse three, which is where class would be taking place. I saw a couple of Gryffindors already there. I waved to Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville who were standing a few meters away from the entrance of the greenhouse.

When Professor Sprout walked in, she was holding the ugliest plants I have ever seen in my entire life. They were black tube-like plants that were squirming around, and had openings filled with liquid. I tried my best not to throw up my breakfast on the greenhouse floor.

"These are called Bubotuber plants." Professor Sprout said. "And for today, we'll be harvesting the pus."

"The what?!" Daphne exclaimed in disgust.

"The pus, Miss Greengrass." Professor Sprout said pointedly. "It's very valuable, so don't waste it."

"How is that valuable?" Theo pointed at the Bubotuber plant with clear repulsion on his face.

"Bubotuber pus is an excellent form of remedy against stubborn acne." Professor Sprout said "Now, begin."

We were given bottles and instructed to wear dragon hide gloves while we extracted the pus from the openings of the Bubotuber plant. I was cringing in disgust the whole time, but I managed to collect a decent amount of pus, while Draco, who worked beside me, had retched the whole time he harvested the disgusting liquid.