Chapter 111 - The First Match

Over the following two weeks, I felt quite empowered of the thought that we were having these secret classes, and resisting Umbridge under her nose. It was partially enough to make it possible not erupt into anger whenever I'm in DADA class as the pink-clad toad smiled condescendingly at all of us as though she had us all in the palm of her stubby hand. 

The D.A. had met a few more times after the initial class of the Disarming Charm and Harry had moved on to teaching everyone the Impediment Jinx and the Reductor Curse. Though we were finding it a challenge to fix a regular night for the week of D.A. meetings as we had to accommodate four separate Quidditch teams' practices. But it was probably better to keep the timing of our meetings unpredictable. If Umbridge was watching us, it would be quite hard to make out a pattern. 

"But it's been tough setting meetings." Hermione complained during one meeting while the four of us were talking in one corner of the Room of Requirement as everyone took a break from practicing the Reductor Curse. "It also might seem suspicious if people of different Houses kept going across the Great Hall  so often to talk to each other." 

"What should we do then?" Ron asked. 

"We can pass notes around." Harry suggested. 

I shook my head. "No. If someone else got a hand of the note, we'll definitely get in trouble." 

"Maybe we can have some sort of signal?" Hermione said unsurely. "Something inconspicuous."

 "A signal..." I trailed. "Wait. I have an idea. I'll work on it and share it to everyone on the next meeting." 

So for the following days before our next scheduled DADA class, I poured myself into working on the idea that I have formed. I remembered the mark Voldemort uses to signal his Death Eaters, though it was nothing like getting ourselves tattooed or anything of the sort. 

I went to the next meeting with a bag full of Fake Galleons and started handing them out to everyone once the class had finished. Then, I took one fake galleon, distinctly different from the rest, and handed it to Harry. 

"You're giving out money?!" Ron exclaimed excitedly. "Hooray for Y/N!" 

"So generous of you!" Fred chuckled. "Can we have more?"

"Yeah, one Galleon seems a little stingy." George chuckled jokingly. 

"It's not real. See the numbers around the edge of the coin you're holding?" I said as I held up one coin. "On real Galleons that's just the serial number, but these are fake Galleons. The numbers will change to reflect the time and date of the next meeting. The coins will grow hot when the date changes, so if you're carrying them in your pocket you'll be able to feel them." 

"That's brilliant, Y/N!" Harry grinned. 

"Harry's got control of the coins, so when he sets the date and time for the next meeting on his coin the rest of the coins will all change to mimic his." I finished explaining. 

"You casted a Protean Charm on these?" Hermione asked as she twirled the coin in her hands. 

I nodded. "Yes. I figured it was a good signal after you suggested we should have one." 

"You can do a Protean Charm?" Terry Boot asked.

"Yes." 

"But...isn't that...N.E.W.T. level magic?" Anthony Goldstein said in astonishment. "How can you do that kind of spell already?" 

"Oh..." I said, trying not to feel embarrassed. "Well, I just studied it and practiced doing the spell." 

"That's amazing! How come you're not in Ravenclaw instead?" Padma Patil said in a tone of wonder.