Chapter 97 - The Letters From Hogwarts

The heavy air of uncertainty did not disappear for the remainder of the time I was with Draco, but the compromise we agreed on offered some twisted sense of relief. We no longer had to talk about the scary, uncomfortable things, and we could just focus on us. It was selfish and short-sighted, I know. But after everything that went on, I just wanted my time with Draco to be an escape, a way to forget, a moment to bury myself in his presence and not think of anything else.

The rest of the time I spent at Malfoy Manor was filled with mundane conversations with Draco. Having spent my summer break without company from any of the pure-blood Slytherin side of my life, it was no surprise that I had indeed missed a lot of things by not going to gatherings or exchanging letters with my friends. Good thing Draco was happy enough to fill me in. There were many fascinating things that went at the gatherings as it turned out.

Blaise's Mother, whose fifth husband had been found dead, was now married to her sixth and was basking in even more wealth. She was also delighted with the news of Blaise and Daphne finally dating, even jokingly saying that Daph better make sure that she'd be Blaise's only wife in the future. And despite my absence at these gatherings, the subject of my relationship with Draco had come up and many of our parents' friends echo their congratulations and many 'about time' quips. The spotlight had then turned to Pansy and Theo after that. Many of the adults had been teasing them to start dating too — to even out the numbers, as they say. It wasn't a surprise to me that they thought Pansy was still single. She hadn't told her parents that she was dating Dean Thomas, after all she had an understandable fear that her parents would largely disagree due to Dean's bloodline.

"Astoria almost told everyone though." Draco said carefully. "It was a good thing that Daphne stepped in."

I rolled my eyes in irritation. "Why is Astoria such a bitch?"

He shrugged. "Think she just lacks attention."

"Did she seek your attention?" I asked.

A smirk formed on Draco's lips. "Jealous?"

"She did, didn't she?" I clicked my tongue at him. "She definitely took advantage that I wasn't there."

Draco's arms circled tighter around me. "She did. But I didn't give it to her."

"You better didn't." I scoffed.

"I have you, why would I even spare any glance at Astoria?" He said. "And besides, Pansy and Daphne would have my neck if I even breathed her way."

I couldn't help but giggle as I imagined by friends guarding Draco against Astoria.

"By the way..." Draco started. "Everyone's missing you. Daph and Pans said you barely wrote anything in your letters. Even Blaise and Theo are worried."

I didn't saying anything as Draco studied my face. With a sigh he shook his head slightly.

"Is this one of those 'let's not talk about it' things?"

I nodded my head tensely.

He let out another exasperated sigh. "All right."

"But do tell them that I'm fine and that I'm just staying under the radar for the summer at the Weasley's." I said. "I'll see you all soon at the start of term."

Draco frowned. "You can't really spare us any letters while you're staying there?"

I was fumbling with my thumbs as I tried to rack my brain for an excuse. When I arrived at Twelve Grimmauld Place, one of the many precautions set was that we refrain sending letters to anyone. It was too dangerous to have many owls travel to and from the Order's Headquarters since there was a high chance that they'd be tracked. It was especially dangerous for me to send out and receive letters now that Mr. Malfoy seemed suspicious of me.