It's Almost Over

Y/N POV 

The awkward silence finally settled over the room. Robert and Chris had cooked up some ham and some kind of corn pudding which was actually pretty good. I managed to break the silence with the lovely topic of work. 

"How's filming going for you?" It's not the best topic of conversation but it's better then silence. 

"It's fun. Though it was better when you were on set." She glances over at me and I see a shy smile on her face. 

"I'll be back pretty soon. There's a few more scenes that I get to partake in." I smile back before turning to my food again. 

"What have you been up to besides failing with technology?" She asks. 

I chuckle a bit, "Besides working on the new script?" 

"Let's leave the topic of work behind, shall we?" She finishes off her plate and pushes it towards the middle of the table so she can turn to me. 

I sigh as I think things over, my life is really empty recently. "The honest answer is nothing. I've just been chasing things to make my life not boring. Like that 3D printer. Like the fencing equipment I have in the gym. Or the large collection of things I should paint. Even the dog bed I bought one day thinking I would get a pet. I could go on and on." 

"When you put it that way it reminds me a lot of myself. Outside of work there's nothing. Well nothing besides Rose." She stands slowly and picks up our plates as she walks over to the sink. 

"I'll clean them later. Want coffee?" I brush behind her to reach the machine. 

"Could we have more of that hot chocolate?" She turns so she's leaning against the back of the counter. 

"Of course." I pull out two mugs and turn on the machine while I crouch down to grab the marshmallow bag. "You want to know something Robert's been bugging me about?" 

"Isn't he always bugging you about something? That's the man in a nutshell." She laughs. 

I nod, "You're right. But he's been trying to convince me to get a roommate." 

Scarlett quickly stops laughing at that. I wonder why? "You mean like a pet?" 

"I thought about it, hence the dog bed. But I travel too much, I would be sad all the time when I left them." I hand her her mug and she follows me into the living room. 

"Then who would you invite?" Her tone has darkened quite a bit since the start of this conversation. 

"That's the issue. I don't know anyone I would want to live with every single day." I take a sip of my drink and turn on the couch to face her. 

"No one...?" She asks quietly. 

"Well there's a few people. But they all have other arrangements." I answer quickly, sensing the change. 

"Who?" She turns to face me as well. 

I laugh a bit, "Well at first I thought maybe I could force Robert. But I don't think I'd survive and he also has his family. You have you're own place. And Chris and I tried that whole thing, it didn't go as well as we hoped." 

She cocks her head to the side, "Guess you're destined to live alone." 

"Perhaps I can invite my old high school best friend. She'd love it." I say, testing the waters. Her face instantly dropped again. 

"You could. Though where would I stay when I forcefully stay overnight?" 

"I have more then one guestroom. You could have your pick." I put my arm on the back of the couch so I can face her better.