Diving

Y/N POV 

Our first evening at Karsten's was great. We had left after Rose got out of school so that meant our first day was rather short, but we had the whole day today. I was up bright and early to help him fix the clock. But I was really distracted by Muffin the whole time. He was sitting on my shoulders as I crouched down to try and figure out what was wrong with the thing. 

Karsten and I talk about what could be wrong with it until we settle on maybe he just didn't know how how to wind it up correctly. So I take off the back and get to work as he prepares breakfast. Sadly I have to put Muffin down so I can reach inside the clock but I'm sure he'll come back to me later. 

 I hear people come into the room but I can't see around the clock. I do hear Hunter speak though, "Is there anything she can't do?" 

"I'm right here," I comment and he peaks around. 

"Stop flirting with my girlfriend!" Scarlett shouts from the staircase and Hunter widens his eyes before sprinting out of the room. She sits on the couch to watch me and I glance over at her. 

"Can I help you?" I ask and she smiles. 

"I'm bored." She comments and I slowly stand up to walk around the front of the clock. 

"How would you like me to fix that?" I ask and she flops backward onto the couch. 

"Let's go do something." She says and I raise an eyebrow at her. 

"I need more to go on than just something, Sweetheart," I smirk and she sighs. 

"We can go to the lake," Karsten suggests from the kitchen. 

"I like that." I agree and Scarlett nods. 

"Wait. Is it working?" Karsten quickly enters the room and stands by my side as the clock starts to tick. 

"Yes, it is. It's just the wrong time. Tell me when it matches the other clock." I direct as I crouch behind it again. I slowly wind it up until he tells me to stop. "Fuck." I whisper as I catch my hand on a gear as I pull it out. 

"Are you ok?" Scarlett is instantly on her feet and next to me. 

"Yeah. I'm fine." I hold my hand up and sigh when I notice it's bleeding. 

"What happened?" Karsten asks as he walks around to join us. 

"I just hit my hand on that gear. I'm good." I stand up but Scarlett takes my hand in hers. 

"Let me fix it." She says and I sigh. "Please?" 

"It's a small cut." I shrug. 

"Sit down." She demands and I sit while Karsten raises an eyebrow at me. 

"What?" I ask. 

"Is she always like that with you?" He asks. 

"What do you mean?" I ask right back as Hunter walks back into the room. 

"Is she gone?" He asks but stops when he sees the look Karsten is giving me.

"She's so... protective? She was never really the defensive type. She's a completely different person around you." He explains. 

"Is that a good thing?" I ask and both of the men nod. 

"She's a lot happier." Hunter agrees. 

"Who's a lot happier?" Scarlett asks when she walks back into the room with some things for my hand. 

"No one," Karsten says quickly. "Help me move the clock, Hunter." He requests and they both leave the room with the clock.

"What were you guys talking about?" Scarlett asks as she takes my hand into her lap.