Chapter Forty-five - The right answer

Vera

"Can I ask you a question?" Lando asks me after looking at each other for a while in silence. "Yeah of course" I answer him. He doubts a bit before he starts talking. "Was it just the fact that my job is in the spotlights that you're feeling this way and overthinking or is there another reason?" he asks carefully.

I don't really know how to answer this, so I just look down and stare at my hands which Lando are holding. After I keep looking down a while Lando lifts my head with his hand, so I have to look at him. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. If you don't feel comfortable telling I understand, no pressure" he tells me. "No, it is not that, I do want to tell you. I am just figuring out how, because I never told anyone this, not even Lynn really knows any of this?" I say softly. He looks really sweet at me, and I know I can trust him. I take a deep breath before I start talking and already feel the tears starting to fall down my face.

"No that wasn't the only reason" You start telling him. "When I found out you are a famous racing driver, I could not understand why you did not tell me. That is basically when I started overthinking, like... why did you think you could not trust me when I was so honest with you when I brought you to that "secret" spot. I trusted you with that and I don't trust people easily because of my past. Am I not good enough? Is there any other reason? And of course, you are being in the spotlight because of your job does not really help either. But I think if you would have just told me I could have prepared myself a bit before something like this would have happened and I would not have posted any pictures with you or Max, no matter how badly Lynn and I would have wanted. If you told me, I would have understood and helped instead of being in this mess. And don't get me wrong, I do not want to make you feel guilty for not telling me, but we could have prevented this" I say to Lando without really taking a breath or giving him a change to interrupt me. While saying this to Lando, I started to cry harder and harder not being able to control my tears anymore. The stress and all the feelings that I have kept inside the last few years all come out right now. I am a complete mess right now and even though I hate to have Lando see me like this I cannot control it. "I'm sorry" I say stuttering.

"With everything that happened in my past, which let me overthink everything about me a lot, it just all is a bit too much. You should not have to see me like this."

Lando

I can see how hard it is for her to tell me. I pull her closer to me and give her a hug. "You have nothing to be sorry about. I just should have told you the truth once I knew you did not know me yet. It is just that most of the girls I meet only like me because I am famous and have money and things like that and when I found out you wanted to spent time with me just for me and not the famous me, I finally felt like I could be myself for once. I never intended to hurt you this much and I hate to see you like this. You do not deserve any of this, you deserve so much better" I tell her while still hugging her.

When I let go of her, I see she is still crying a bit, but it got less. "You are an amazing person and no matter what people used to tell you; you will always be an amazing person. If you don't want to be in the media I completely understand. I do not want us to be in the media either. You should be able to live a normal life without people following you everywhere" I add to it.

When she looks at me, I see she stopped crying, but still has some tears in her eyes. I gently wipe away the tears and smile at her. "You're absolutely beautiful, you know that right?" I say while staring into her eyes.

Vera

I cannot believe he is so sweet. I always assumed famous people would be more arrogant, but he is not at all. He just saw me in my worst state and still is so caring about my feelings. I don't know what I did to deserve to meet him and be with him here even if it is not under the best circumstances.

"Thank you, you're really sweet" I respond to him. "I do not really want to be in the media. Don't think I can handle that right now to be honest, but I really hope that that doesn't mean we can't talk and see each other anymore, because I really want to see you again and at least be friends with you and not because I know you are famous, but because you are an incredible person, and I loved the past few days with you. I felt safe when I was with you, and I do not have that often with people so fast. I do not want to lose this; I do not want to lose you" I add to it.