Chapter Sixty-eight - The game is on

Max

"Hey, it is good to see your boyfriend here to comfort you" a nurse says as she walks in to check on Lynn. I start to blush. I look at her name tag, which says Frederique. The woman I spoke with on the phone earlier that evening. "I just wanted to bring you the discharge papers, so you can sleep at home with him" she adds to it as she gives me a wink. "Thank you for everything" I say to her as she walks away. "Let's go home. I will tell you what happened with Kelly then" I say as I start collecting some of her stuff. As she left the most of it at home, we could leave almost immediately.

We walk to the car; I open the door for her as she gets in. I walk to the driver's side and start the car. "Are you warm enough?" I ask as I she her shaking. "I'm fine, I just what to go straight to a warm bed" she says as she looks at me with a smile, which gives me the feeling she wants to sleep in my bed with me tonight,

After half an hour Lynn and I have put on our pajamas and are lying in bed under my thick and warm blanket. When we got home everything was dark, which meant Vera and Lando already had gone to sleep. I didn't mind, I wasn't in the mood to talk to them anyway. I first need to explain to Lynn what happened with Kelly. Tomorrow I explain it to the others at breakfast.

"Are you comfortable? Do you want another pillow?" I ask her, avoiding the Kelly-subject. "Yeah I am totally fine. So, what happened with Kelly?" she responds. I am not really sure where to begin, so I just start at the moment she contacted me again. "Okay, so you know the story of the breakup, right?" I ask her, but of course I know the answer. "After our trip, she contacted me to ask how I was doing. I thought it was weird, but even though I still responded. However, she kept asking questions about the time we broke up and all the details about you and me. I wasn't really in the mood to answer them as everything was still very fresh. So, I ignored her. Then she shows up at the Christmas dinner, I guess we both had a little too much to drink. That is why I left the dinner, just to be alone again. I hated celebrating Christmas without knowing how you were and you not being there. So, when Kelly walked in I had a little hope of her being you. I didn't even get the time to process that it wasn't you, before Kelly kissed me. I promise it lasted not longer than 10 seconds until in realized it was her. I pushed her away and she just wanted another go. I asked her what she was doing. She told me that she still loves me, and she made a mistake cheating on me, I didn't want to hear it. I was completely done with her. Never ever did someone hurt me that much, sorry for not telling you earlier, but it thought it didn't matter" I say grabbing her hands. "I am so sorry, believe me" I add to it. "I am the one who needs to be sorry. I shouldn't have responded the way I did. I ruined our evening, so I am sorry. I can imagine how you felt during the holidays, I did to. It was hard not being with you. I never thought I could get feelings for someone this fast" she says as I get shy from her sweet words.

Lynn

"No, I need to be sorry. This is all my fault" he says to comfort me. "And I have feelings for you too. I just feel happy when I am with you" he adds to it. We both look into each other's eyes, not knowing what to say. I lay my head on his chest, just to feel closer to him in this moment. After everything that happened, I am still not tired I feels like after our chat I have become more energetic. "Are you tired?" I ask him. "Not really you?" he answers. "Me neither, shall we play a game or something? Do you have a Wii or Nintendo Switch?" I ask him. "I do, I don't have a lot I games here with me. I do have Mario Kart Deluxe 8" he answers. "Perfect!" I say as I get out of bed. We walk both to the living room and Max starts to set everything up.

We played, talked, and laughed for over an hour. I have won three races and Max have won five. However, we played in teams, and my team has won. During the races I have felt the exhaustion taking me over. My racing skills were becoming worse, luckily for me I had great teammates.

Max shuts off the game and we just lay down on the couch. Max grabs another blanket for us, I let my head rest on his shoulder, and he let his head rest on mine.

"So, boyfriend huh?" I say as I'm referring to what the nurse said at the hospital. "I needed to come up with something so I could visit you. They said they would only let family in at this point. I was just so worried about you" he says softly as he kisses the side of her head. "Maybe this should be the moment to ask you something..." he says as I start to nod of. And after those words, I can't remember anything he said.