Chapter Forty-nine - The water's edge

Vera

I cannot believe it right now. I thought the last few days together meant more to him, but I was wrong. I don't know what to think right now so I get up and walk to the door. "Just let me be alone right now" I say to Lando, and I see he looks weird at me. I close the door behind me and walk away towards the exit. I do not really know where to go so I just walk outside and sit on the edge of the water. "Did he really forget about our, well I guess my secret spot and the evening and night we spend together?" I think to myself. I just keep staring at the water until someone taps on my shoulder. "Just leave me alone, Lando" I say without looking up.

Charlotte

"I'm sorry, I'm not Lando" I say to Vera. Just after I left the room, I noticed I forgot my phone. When I turned around, I saw Vera walking away with tears in her eyes and Lando looking really sad, so I decided to go to Vera. "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were Lando" she says while still looking at the water. "Are you okay?" I ask her. "Yes, just needed to think for a minute. This day has been really hard so far, and I am not used to be in the centre of attention" she answers me. "I get it, I will do everything I can to keep you out of the media, I know you mean a lot to Lando. I have never seen him caring about someone this much" I tell her. "Wait really?" she asks me surprised. "Yes, he obviously cares a lot about his family and his closest friends, but I have never seen him like this. I do not know what it is, but there is something different about him. Something better and I like to see him like this, so I will try and do everything I can, so he can be this happy" I explain to her. She looks at me and I see she gets a smile on her face; she obviously cares about him too. ", but what are you doing here alone, why aren't you with him?" I ask her. "Just needed to clear my head and process some things" she answers me, but I am doubting her answer. Before I can ask anything else I see Lando coming our direction. I get up and walk away.

Lando

After Vera left the room, I keep thinking about the question she asked me. "No of course the past few days meant more to me than just what you told Charlotte. I need to explain it to her" I say to myself as I get up to look for her. I look around but cannot find her. When I am standing back at the entrance, I see her sitting outside with Charlotte. I walk outside and Charlotte sees me walking towards them. She walks towards me and stops me to whisper something to me. "I don't know what you did, but do not let go of her, she is sad because of you even if she says she isn't." I nod and she walks away. I walk to Vera and sit next to her. "I'm sorry" is all I can come up with.

After sitting there for a while Vera finally says something. "I thought our conversation earlier meant something to you" she says softly. I look at her and see se has tears in her eyes. "Of course, our conversation earlier meant something to me. Why would you think it did not?" I ask her while she keeps staring at the water. "What you told Charlotte, is that really all you remember from our days together?" She asks me. I look surprised at her. "No of course not. I remember everything. You teaching me how to snowboard, our walk to your secret spot where I had the best time and we had our first kiss, the evening and night we spent together when I had my bad dream and you were the only one who could calm me down and who knows about it and just the best days of my life snowboarding with you and in the après ski. Of course, I remember everything, but I did not want Charlotte to know everything. She knows what is necessary for the media post and I wanted the rest to be something private between us" I explain to her while holding her hands. She looks surprised at me. "You really mean that?" She asks me shyly. "Every word of what I just said, you mean that much to me. Now come here" I pull her close to me and let her lean against me while rapping my arms around her. We sit like this for a while just staring at the water and enjoying each other's company. I wish I could stay like this forever with her.

"I'm sorry" I hear Vera say after a while. "Why are you sorry?" I ask her surprised. "I should have known you were keeping things from Charlotte on purpose. I know you better than that" She explains to me. I pull her closer to me and wrap my arms tighter around her. "It is okay, I should have told you I would not tell her everything. I just wanted to keep the rest between us" I tell her. "I know now. I guess, I just got insecure again" she says softly. "You do not have to be with me. I am not giving up on whatever this is between us" I say and give her a kiss on het head.