Chapter Eighty-five - Surprise dinner

Vera

The waiter has brought us the menus and we are still deciding what we should pick. There is so much to choose.

"En meiden hebben jullie al een keuze kunnen maken? [So girls, have you already decided?]" a familiar voice says. I look up and I see four human beings who are not supposed to be here. "Mama, papa! [Mum, dad!]" Lynn and I shout together. We don't know how fast we want to hug them. "Hoe?! [How?!]" I ask them. "You need to thank those two guys over there" my father says while pointing out to Max and Lando.

I walk up to Lando and give him a kiss on his cheek, "Thank you!" I say in English. "I will introduce you formally to my parents. Lando, this is my mum Petra and my dad Marc." "Hi nice to meet you" Lando says while shaking both of their hands.

Lynn

"You are full of surprises, aren't you?" I say to Max. "You don't even know half of it!" he says and gives me a kiss. "So Max, meet my parents, Louis, and Maria. Mum, dad this is Max, my boyfriend" I say. "So nice to see you again. Thanks again to be a part of this amazing trip. I will take care of your daughter, I promise!" he says and shakes my father's hand. "You better be son" my father replies and grabs his shoulder.

The waiter walks to our table and give my and Vera's parents a menu as well. He asks if they want something to drink as well. They refuse the offer and stick with water for now. "So how has NYE been?" my father asks in English so Lando can understand everything as well. "It was amazing! It was a short night; I think that will sum it up quite nicely" I say, and we all laugh. "I think we miss something?" Vera's mum says. "Two friends of Max and Lando came by as a surprise, Daniel Ricciardo, and Charles Leclerc. They were an amazing addition to the party, which was not supposed to be a party" Vera says with a smile.

"How was your evening?" Max asks them. "Nothing special, as we needed to catch a flight this afternoon. But it was all worth it" my mum says and grabs my father's hand. "Can I say we are so happy to see you all glowing, smiling and be happy!" she adds to it. "Oh mum, you the sweetest!" I say as I blow her a kiss.

Max

We are almost complete. There are still eleven people missing. When I made the reservation I requested to wait to take the order. Lando and I arranged that the missing people had to be her around seven. At 7.02pm I see some familiar faces walking towards our table. Everyone is incredibly involved in their conversation, and it seems no one knows who is coming our way. I smile when I see the most important people in my life.

"Good evening everyone" my father says. Lynn looks at him and then to me. "Who is that man?" she asks me. "My father" I say and grabs her hand to introduce them to the latecomers. "Lynn, this is my dad Jos, my mum Sophie, my sister Victoria, and her fiancé Thom, with my nephews Luca and Lio. And everyone this is Lynn, my girlfriend" I say and Lynn shakes everybody's hand. "So nice to meet you all!" she says. "And as we are all introducing each other, let me introduce you to my parents Louis and Maria, my best friend Vera, and her parents Petra and Marc" Lynn says. "Hi, nice to meet you" they see to each other.

While my mum is shaking hands with the parents of Lynn and Vera, she looks weird to Vera's dad. I am not sure why, but I try to let it go. He has something familiar that she can't put her finger on it.

Sophie

To my surprise I see someone I thought I would never see again. My best friend in college, Marc Carter. I am not sure if he remembers me, he doesn't act like it. To be sure I take a seat right next to him.

Once everyone sat down, we all have a little small talk to get each other better. While we are talking the waiter brings more champagne and menus to the table. I look at the menu just to talk some sense to me. I do not feel completely comfortable sitting next to him. I keep repeating sentences in my mind, just to come up with the perfect pick-up line to start a conversation. After half a glass of champagne I start to get a more confident feeling and dare to start a conversation with Mar, "Marc was it right?" I say as I start talking to him. He nods. "Maybe it is a little weird, but you look really familiar. What college did you go to?" I ask him. At the moment he wants to answer the question, we got interrupted by the attendance of some more people arriving.