26

JIMIN POV

Taylor pulls into the driveway and a valet opens Jungkook's door, Sawyer leaps out to open mine.

"Ready?" Jungkook asks.

"As I'll ever be."

"You look beautiful My star." He kisses my hand and exits the car.

A dark green carpet runs along the lawn to one side of the house, leading to the impressive grounds at the rear.

Jungkook has a protective arm around me, resting his hand on my waist as we follow the green carpet with a steady stream of Seattle's elite dressed in their finery and wearing all manner of masks the lanterns lighting the way.

Two photographers marshal guests to pose for pictures against the backdrop of an ivy-strewn arbor.

"Mr Jeon!" one of the photographers calls, Jungkook nods in acknowledgement and pulls me close as we pose quickly for a photo.

How do they know it's him?

His trademark it his hair no doubt.

"Two photographers?" I ask Jungkook.

"One is from the Seattle Times, the other is for a souvenir."

"We'll be able to buy a copy later."

Oh, my picture in the press again.

Leila briefly enters my mind.

This is how she found me, posing with Jungkook.

The thought is unsettling, though it's comforting that I am unrecognizable beneath my mask.

At the end of the line, white-suited servers hold trays of glasses brimming with champagne and I'm grateful when Jungkook passes me a glass effectively distracting me from my dark thoughts.

We approach a large white pergola hung with smaller versions of the paper lanterns.

Beneath it, shines a black and white checkered dance floor surrounded by a low fence with entrances on three sides.

At each entrance stand two elaborate ice sculptures of swans The fourth side of the pergola is occupied by a stage where a string quartet is playing softly, a haunting, ethereal piece I don't recognize.

The stage looks set for a big band but as there's no sign of the musicians yet.

I figure this must be for later.

Taking my hand, Jungkook leads me between swans onto the dance floor where the other guests are congregating, chatting over glasses of champagne.

Toward the shoreline stands an enormous marquee, open on the side nearest to us so I can glimpse the formally arranged tables and chairs.

There are so many!

"How many people are coming?" I ask Jungkook, thrown by the scale of the marquee.

"I think about six hundred."

"You'll have to ask my mother." He smiles down at me and may be it's because I can only see his smile that lights up his face but my inner goddess swoons.

"Jungkookie!"

A young woman appears out of the throng and throws her arms around his neck and immediately I know it's Mia.

She's dressed in a sleek, pale pink, full-length chiffon gown with a stunning, delicately detailed Venetian mask to match.

She looks amazing and for a moment, I have never felt so grateful for the dress Jungkook has given me.