83

JIMIN POV

"But surely it's not that simple."

"Why not?" Dr. Flynn shrugs good-naturedly.

"Well... the reasons he does it."

"Jimin, that's the point."

"In terms of solution-focused therapy, it is that simple."

"Jungkook wants to be with you
In order to do that, he needs to forego the more extreme aspects of that kind of relationship."

"After all, what you're asking for is not unreasonable... is it?"

I flush. No, it's not unreasonable, is it?

"I don't think so."

"But I worry that he does."

"He recognizes that and has acted accordingly."

"He's not insane." Dr Flynn sighs.

"In a nutshell, he's not a sadist, He's an angry, frightened, brilliant young man, who was dealt a shit hand of cards when he was born. We can all beat our chest about it and analyze the who, the how and the why to death or he can move on and decide how he wants to live."

"He'd found something that worked for him for a few years, more or less but since he met you, it no longer works."

"And as a consequence, he's changing his modus operandi."

"You and I have to respect his choice and support him in it."

I gape at him. "That's my reassurance?"

"As good as it gets, There are no guarantees in this life." He smiles.

"And that is my professional opinion."

I smile, too, weakly.

Doctor jokes...

"But he thinks of himself as a recovering alcoholic."

"He will always think the worst of himself. As I said, it's part of his self-abhorrence."

"It's in his makeup, no matter what, Naturally he's anxious about making this change in his life."

"He's potentially exposing himself to a whole world of emotional pain, which, incidentally, he had a taste of when you left him."

"Naturally he's apprehensive."

Dr. Flynn pauses. "I don't mean to stress how important a role you have in his Damascene conversion his road to Damascus But you have."

"He would not be in this place if he had not met you, Personally I don't think that an alcoholic is a very good analogy but if it works for him for now then I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt."

Give him the benefit of the doubt. I frown at the thought.

"Emotionally, he is an adolescent,
He bypassed that phase in his life totally. He's channeled all his energies into succeeding in the business world and he has beyond all expectations."

"His emotional world has to play catch-up."

"So how do I help?"

Dr. Flynn laughs. "Just keep doing what you're doing," he grins at me. "He is head over heels, It's a delight to see."

I flush.

"Can I ask you one more thing?"

"Of course."

I take a deep breath. "Part of me thinks that if he wasn't this broken he wouldn't want me."

Dr. Flynn's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "That's a very negative thing to say about yourself and frankly it says more about you than it does about Jungkook. It's not quite up there with his self-loathing but I'm surprised by it."