7

REID WAS WALKING IN the hallway, going to his first class of the day when a hand wrapped itself around his wrist and pulled him to an empty room.

He frowned, looking up at his grabber. A questioning look appeared on his features when he saw Lydia, Scott, Allison and Derek standing in front of him in the empty classroom while Stiles was behind, closing the door.

"Hale," Reid mused, ignoring the stares on him while he directed his gaze to the Alpha. "Hey, aren't you too old to be going to school?"

"When Scott told me that there was a new werewolf in town, I just had to see it for myself," Derek began, ignoring his question. "Gabriel's son, Reid, is it? You're an alpha, are you one of them?"

"One of who?" Reid raised his brows, "Deucalion's bitches? Hell, no."

"Then what are you doing here?" Stiles was the one to ask this question, "are you the one killing people?"

"No—" he bit his lip, "— well, at least not them, not here."

"So then why are you in Beacon Hills?" Scott asked Stiles's previous question.

"I don't owe you any answers," Reid stated with a shrug.

"He's here because Deaton's his legal guardian," Allison spoke, remembering his conversation with her dad the previous day. "He, uh, told my dad yesterday."

Reid huffed and rolled his eyes at the girl's words which in turn, earned a smug smile from her in response. Scott internally frowned at the exchange but decided to ignore it.

"See, he's harmless," Lydia cut in, speaking for the first time since Reid got there, "like I told you all."

"Of course," Reid nodded, shooting a fake smile at the group, "I'd never dream of hurting anyone."

"Your father was the biggest dick I've ever heard of. He was a maniac who killed his entire pack," Derek informed, narrowing his eyes at the boy, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

"We can't trust you," Scott added earning a scoff from him, "so? I never told you to. I want nothing to do with you and your little pack."

"What do you know about Deucalion?" Derek shot the question at him. Reid sighed as he walked over to one of the nearest desk and sat down, facing the group, "I know that wants you to be part of his pack."

"We know that," Derek nodded, "what else?"

"And that he and his little pack of Alphas will get rid of anyone that comes in their way." Reid was reluctant to give them more information. "I'm giving you heads up here; he made those alphas kill their entire pack to be in his. But I guess that's good because you don't really have a pack now, do you?"

"Didn't he want you to be in his pack?"

"Yeah," he sighed, "but I turned him down."

"You don't have a pack either," Derek reminded earning a smirk from Reid, "I don't want one. I'd rather be on my own."

"Why?" Stiles asked, "I thought lone wolves are more at risk of being killed. No werewolves would want to be pack-less."

"I want to," Reid muttered, "having a pack means looking out for each other— put them before yourself. Allowing leverages, having something your enemies could use against you. I'm not risking that."

"A pack makes you stronger," Scott spoke, a frown at his lips at the hybrid's reasoning, "why would you think otherwise?"

He decided to ignore his question, looking at the rest of the group, "why am I still here?"

"Look, Deucalion's pack is strong." Derek began, hoping that he was not going to regret what he was about to do, "and we need all the help we can get to get rid of them. I was wondering maybe if you could—" he paused, "— if you would—" he paused again, his ego too big to ask him for help.

"Are you asking for my help?" Reid caught onto what he was trying to say, unable to hide the smug grin that threatened to break onto his lips. "Look at you, poorly attempting to swallow your pride because you're desperate."

"Shut up," Derek gritted out, "are you going to help or not?"

"Wait, hold on," Stiles interrupted, "am I hearing it right? Why in hell would you ask him for help when he literally said that if it comes to it, he's gonna save his own ass?"

"We have a high chance of winning with Reid on our side," Derek explained, "if he's as strong as his father, we will, without a doubt, win. How was he so strong anyway?"

"Healthy diet," Reid muttered, not knowing what else to say. Derek rolled his eyes as the hybrid added, "a lot of green—"

"— Okay, we got it." Derek cut the boy off, "you're insufferable, y'know that?"

"Yet you need my help to save your ass."

"Stop reminding me," Derek muttered, turning to the rest of the group as Scott voiced out his thoughts, "I'm not sure about this. I don't think we can trust him."

Reid scoffed as he looked at Scott, "whether you think you can trust me or not is irrelevant. You people dragged me into this so. . ."

"Then trust me, Scott," Derek turned to the boy, choosing to ignore Reid's word although he was sure Scott didn't— judging by the way he was glaring at Reid who was smirking him, his face filled with an expression Derek couldn't quite understand but he was sure it was nothing good. "I know what I'm doing." But did he?