47

"IT'S ABOUT YOUR MOTHER."

Deaton's words made Reid's head snap in his direction, "run that by me again?"

"Your mother," Deaton repeated, "she's alive. She's here, in Beacon Hills."

The hybrid scoffed and roughly took his lower lip in between his teeth, biting on it hard as he shook his head, "no, no— she's not, you're lying."

"I'm not lying," Deaton spoke, keeping his voice low and tone calm, "she's here."

Reid looked at the older man, narrowing his eyes at him, "and how exactly do you know that?"

Deaton went silent as he contemplated to what to say to him. Reid clenched his jaw as he stared at the man, realisation hitting him. "You've known where she is this whole time, haven't you?"

"I can exp—"

"— No," he interrupted before Deaton could speak, jumping off the chair he was seated on, "you've got to be fucking joking."

"Reid, listen—"

"— You listen!" He approached Deaton and grabbed his collar before pushing him against the wall, not caring that the older man let out a small groan in pain as his back hit the wall harshly, "I spent my entire fuckin’ life looking for her. You know that!"

"You were looking for her so you could kill her!" Deaton shouted back, "you thought I was going to help you find her so you could do that? really?"

"She ruined my life," Reid clenched his jaw, "she left me with that son of a bitch—"

"— She couldn't have possibly go against him," Deaton cut in, shooting Reid a look, "he was an Alpha. She was just a regular werewolf. He would've killed her had she tried to take you along."

"No, he wouldn't." Reid scoffed, letting go of him as he turned his back to him. He let out a humourless chuckle, "is that what she told you?"

"What—" Deaton fixed his clothes, "— what are saying? Yes, that's what she told me."

"Well, guess what?" He looked at Deaton, his chest heaving up and down. The older man thought he looked absolutely livid, ready to kill someone. Reid was pissed. "She fucking lied."

"No, she didn't." Deaton mumbled, "listen, Reid, you were barely two. You have no idea what happened between them. You only know what your dad told you."

"— Okay then pray tell," He raised his brows at his guardian, "what the hell happened?"

"Gabriel would abuse her," Deaton's response made Reid crack yet another humourless chuckle. "Is that so?"

"Yes—" Deaton frowned, "— what aren't you telling me?"

"I'll tell you what she didn't tell you," Reid sat on the edge of the counter where Deaton placed his necessary equipments, "she left because she wanted to live a normal human life even though she wasn't one. She left because she didn't want the responsibility of a pack. And she left me because she didn't love me."

"Don't say that," Deaton shot him a saddened look, "she did. She loves you more than anything."

"No, she didn't." Reid mumbled, his head now lowered as he stared at the ground, "she said that I was a mistake. She wasn't expecting a child— neither was dad. But I was born nonetheless. Mom was never really happy with my presence, she treated me like... a burden. But dad was though. He loved me, he was happy to have a heir."

Deaton gave Reid a weird look, one that was filled with confusion and astonishment, "you were like one, how the hell can you even remember all that?"

"It's a gift," he shrugged, "I remember everything ever since I was like six months old. The talks, the feelings, the treatments."

"How's that even possible?"

"I'm a very gifted child," he mumbled before sighing, "kidding, I know a witch. She did that for me, I wanted to know everything since the beginning. I was desperate, I wanted to feel this whole parents love shit so I thought that maybe I could relive it, y'know? Get a glimpse of how my life was when I was a baby."

"Wait, wait hold up." Deaton held his hand forward, "you know a witch?"

"Werewolves aren't the only supernatural creatures out there," Reid rolled his eyes, "yes, I know a witch, slept with her— but that's not the point."

"You slept with a witch? Are we talking old, white hair and stuff?"

"No, she was fifteen," The hybrid cleared his throat, "I was sixteen. Like I said, not the point. Anyway, yeah so I made her show me stuff and well, you know what I saw just made me wanna kill mom more."

"She told me that Gabriel would abuse her so she left. Once she found out that Gabriel's dead and that I'm now your legal guardian—" Deaton paused, "— she reached out and told me to tell her about you and we've been in contact ever since. So I think this shows how much she cares about you."

"This is bullshit. Nothing would've happened had she not left." Reid refused to believe that his mom cared about him, "look, mom and dad were mates. Ever heard of that term? Soulmates and shit?"

"I have." Deaon muttered, nodding to himself, "they were?"

"Yes," Reid threw his head back and let out a sigh, "they were. When she left him, dad went crazy. She left him because of the pack, she didn't want the responsibilities, right? So... he murdered the pack. He blamed them then he blamed me. He realised how much she didn't want me. How much she hated the fact that I was born. So yeah, once he was done slaughtering the entire pack, he decided to make me his punching bag."

Deaton's eyes widened at the revelation, "no, that's not—"

"— Years of abuse, Deaton," Reid began, glancing at him as his voice cracking while he added, "I— I was barely four."

"I—" Deaton was interrupted by him, "— no, listen. Let me talk." He again got off the table and turned to face the wall as he didn't want to look at him while speaking, "when you came along, you were nice to me. And for once in my life, I felt how it was to have someone give a shit about you and I liked it. I wanted to tell you about how he'd treat me because you were so fucking blind to it but I didn't because he told me not to and I knew better than to disobey."

The seventeen year old sucked his teeth as he shoved his hands in his pockets, "then the hunters came. They killed him and left. Honestly, I've never been more grateful to these motherfuckers in my entire life."

"Reid, I'm sorry." Deaton approached the boy and placed his hands on his stiff shoulders, "I— I'm really sorry you had to go through this. I had no idea about your mother."

"Exactly," he turned to face the man again, "which is why you're going to tell me where she is."

"She's been taken," Deaton's answer made him frown, "excuse me?"

"The Darach," Deaton said, "she took her. The last text she sent me was last night— she said if she doesn't reply within five hours then she's been taken."