27

FOR A WEREWOLF TO have a soulmate was very rare. So rare that it was considered as a myth. It only happened once or twice per century. Even if it did occur more than that, it wasn't known.

Reid knew two werewolves who were mates; his parents. His father was a hybrid while his mother was a werewolf yet they were so in love with each other to the point that they'd do everything together. When Reid was born, they completely adored him but then his mom, Genevieve, felt like she wanted more.

The life she had was not enough for her. She didn't want to live in the middle of a forest with her mate, her child and a pack. She wanted to go out there, live a ‘human life’ like the others. She didn't want to have a pack to look after.

The others thought it was selfish. Being in the company of werewolves twenty–four–seven over years bored her at some point even though she was one herself so she tried to convince Gabriel that she wants to go out there, live in the midst of humans but Gabriel didn't want that.

It was the first fight and last fight they've had. Gabriel didn't want to leave his pack behind and Genevieve wanted to leave so she left both the pack, her mate and her child, Reid while he was barely two.

Gabriel held on for three years then he went mad. He could not live without his mate, he realised. She was the only one keeping him sane. She left and took his sanity with her.

So, he went completely crazy and killed his entire pack. Reid was the only one he spared but not so much. He'd vent his anger, frustration and everything on the child.

Reid knew everything he had to know about mates. They were made for each other, paired by the moon goddess herself. A mate was the other half of the other. Together, they were complete. They were bound for life. Usually, mates were unable to lie to each other but it was different for Reid. He wasn't completely werewolf so he could lie. But on the other hand, his mate wouldn't be able to, no matter what she is.

Mates usually crave each other's attention, they care for each other so much so they'd be ready to die for one another. They'd want to be in the presence of each other. Usually, the cravings wouldn't start until they're both eighteen but the lust was still there. It was up to them to decide whether they wish to give in to it sooner or rather wait. But once they did, they would be inseparable. And if one was to leave the other, they'd go insane without the presence of their mate.

Much like Gabriel went. Reid often liked to believe that his mother went mad and killed herself as well which was why he was unable to find her but he doubted it. She was a very wise woman, he was certain that she had enough self-control to survive this unlike his father.

"So..." Lydia began, letting out a small exhale at what Reid told her about mates, "you're saying that we—" she gestured between them, "— we're... Mates?"

"I'm saying there's a possibility," he sighed, leaning against the door. It was the last thing he wanted; to have a mate. To care for someone so much so that he was willing to die for her. But fate has never been nice to him.

"This..." Lydia cleared her throat, "I've actually read about it; soulmates. I always thought it was a myth, though." She let out a chuckle, "but not so much, apparently."

"Listen," he began, "nobody can know about this."

"What?" She frowned, "why?"

"Because they'll use you against me," he breathed out, his eyes glancing down at her lips, "and we can't have that now, can we?" Somehow, admitting the fact that they were mates made them feel closer to each other.

"No," her voice was low, "no, we can't. But that doesn't mean that we have to stay away from each other, right?"

"No, it doesn't." His hand reached out to her on it's own as he brushed a strand of her hair away from her face. She closed her eyes at the feeling of his finger on her skin as she felt a large amount of pleasure and happiness through her.

"What the holy hell was that?"

"Probably the mate thing," he replied, his eyes staying fixed on hers. While he didn't want a mate, he couldn't exactly bring himself to push Lydia away.

"I liked it," she muttered, taking a step closer to him.

"I'm sure you did," he mused and was about to let hand fall his sides again when she caught it and held it in hers. Reid raised his brows at her, "what do you think you're doing?"

"What I want to," she placed his hand on her waist and placed hers on either side of his chest while he stilled. "Come on, Reid, you want this as much as I do—" she refrained herself from getting closer to him when he dug his fingers in her waist, having an internal battle with himself.

He knew that if he took that step, he wouldn't be able to control himself around her. He has seen how his parents were all the time and he could felt it— this thin line between them. Once he'd break it, he knew that he'd lose all self-control.

"Fuck it," his other hand reached out to the back of her neck as he pulled her closer, crashing his lips against hers.