89

"WHY'S MY MOM talking to Peter?" Lydia asked Reid as they walked in the hallway. Peter looked at them and smiled before he rushed away with the crowd of students that passed across them as the two approached Natalie.

"Why were you talking to him?" She asked her mom instead seeing that she wasn't about to get a reply from Reid. Natalie shrugged, "because he started talking to me. He's from the health department."

"Oh, really?" Lydia raised her brows, "that's what he said?"

"Yes, really," Natalie nodded, "they're scheduling hearing tests with students."

"Hearing tests?" The strawberry blonde repeated, glancing at Reid, "he was talking about hearing?"

"Yes, hearing—" Natalie shot her daughter a look, "I'm guessing we should sign you up." She showed her a piece of paper, "he gave me his card."

Lydia snatched it from her, "mom, this is a piece of paper with a phone number written on it."

Natalie smiled at her, "I know," she wiggled her brows slightly, "still got it."

Reid breathed out a chuckle at the woman's words which made her smile widen as she looked at him, "hi, Reid. You should come for dinner sometime again."

"I'll think about it," he mumbled earning a small pat on the shoulder before Natalie walked away. He turned to Lydia who seemed to be deep in thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

"You know how I've been hearing things?"

"Yeah..." He trailed off, already knowing where she was going with this. "you don't have a hearing problem. You're hearing, that means you're fine."

"He seems to know about it," she sighed, "and he's willing to help me figure this out."

"Fine but I'm coming with you."

"Okay," she smiled, "I'll text Allison. She could come too."

|•|

REID, LYDIA AND ALLISON found themselves standing in front of the loft. Just as Lydia was about to open the door, Allison stopped her, "while it's smart bringing us with you, I still think the rest of this is totally insane."

"You and I both." Reid mumbled which had Lydia rolling her eyes at both of them as she jumped to an explanation, "I tried to find Stiles and I led everyone to a mental institution. I call that a colossal failure. Look, I just need to figure this out and he's the only one offering help."

"Peter doesn't offer help," Allison corrected, "he offers a chance for you to be manipulated into giving him what he wants."

"Fine," Lydia sighed, giving them a determined look, "let's see what he wants." She then opened the door, revealing Peter who was standing by the window. He turned to them with a smug look on his face, "the hunter, the banshee and the hybrid. Ladies, gentleman, come in."

Once they were inside, Peter approached them, looking at Lydia as he nodded towards Allison and Reid, "they go."

"Like hell we will."

"The last time I was alone with you..." The strawberry blonde began, "I almost bled out on a lacrosse field. They stay."

"Do you actually think I was trying to kill you when I bit you?" Peter questioned, "you were my backup plan, remember? Not to mention, the bite is what brought out your nascent abilities. You think power like that was going to come out on its own?" He clicked his tongue and shook his head, "I'm the spark that lit your fire, sweetheart."

"Oh, shut up you sound like a pedophile right now. That's weird," Reid spoke from beside her. Peter looked at him and rolled his eyes, "you're making it weird, you dirty minded child."

Reid's lips pulled up into an amused grin at his words. "I never thought I'd hear you use the word 'dirty' in that context."

"Get some holy water, Reid." Peter mumbled with a sigh, "you're in desperate need of some."

"Wait," Allison cut in, looking at Peter accusingly, "you attacked her and nearly killed her," she glanced on purpose while he took in the newfound information with a frown on his face, "oh, did he now?"

"Yes, he totally did." Allison nodded, humming, "like she said, she almost bled out on the field. Could've died and it's all his fault."

"Power," Peter spoke up suddenly, eyeing the two suspiciously, "doesn't come without a little pain and struggle."

"I didn't ask for it." Lydia muttered with a shake of her head. Peter smirked, "but you're embracing it now, aren't you?"

"How about the fact that you brainwashed her and used her to bring yourself back to life?" Allison spilled with furrowed brows.

"He did what now?"

"I did that so I could be here today to help you master your abilities," Peter quickly defended so Reid wouldn't jump his bones like he had a feeling he was about to do anytime now. "Isn't it amazing how things come in full circle?"

"He's insane," Allison turned to her best friend, "we're leaving."

"Her boyfriend is insane." Peter retorted, glancing at Reid who scoffed at that. "Not me," he added.

"Au revoir," Reid muttered to the older werewolf as he swung his arms over both Lydia's and Allison's shoulders while standing in between the two. The three began to walk away when Peter spoke up, "you want the truth, Lydia?"

Lydia stopped walking which made the others stop as well. "It's not the scream that gives you power," Peter said, "all the scream does it help drown out the noise, allowing you to hear what you really need to. I can help you focus your hearing."

They turned to look at him at that. Allison scoffed, "but you want something in return."

"No, I'm dedicating my life to helping out narcissistic teenage girls," he grabbed a container from the table, "of course I want something in return." He then opened it and allowed a couple of claws to fall in front of him, clattering.