69

"WHY DON'T YOU SLAM the damn thing open while you're at it?" Reid asked Stiles, annoyed at how much noise he was making as he tried to open the door.

"I'm trying!" Stiles whispered, wincing when the door made a creaking sound as he finally opened it, getting inside with Reid and Scott following before he shut it again.

"Okay, there," Stiles grabbed two plushies from the bed and tossed them at Reid and Scott who grabbed one each and began sniffing to catch a scent.

"All I'm smelling is some kind of animal," Scott said, looking at the two while Reid sniffed again, scrunching his nose at the scent, "a... dog."

As if on cue, a low growl made them snap their heads towards the entrance where they saw a dog standing.

"Hi, puppy..." Stiles muttered, keeping his eyes fixed on the animal, "get rid of it."

Reid leaned against the wall as he watched the scene unfold, knowing he could've made the dog go away easily but watching their reactions was too much fun.

"Me?" Scott frowned earning a nod from Stiles, "yes, you! Glow your eyes at it! Something! Be the Alpha!"

"I can't... I don't have control," Scott turned to the hybrid who raised an amused brow at him, "yeah?"

"You get rid of it," Scott nodded towards the dog and frowned when Reid shook his head, his next words were anything but true, "I can't. I don't have a good relationship with dogs."

"Okay, buddy," Stiles sighed in exasperation, "you're going to have to try something."

"Yeah, do something before it starts barking and shit."

"Nice..." Scott extended a hand towards the dog, approaching it cautiously, "doggy...?" He flinched and took a step backwards when the dog let out a low growl and was about to bark when Reid stepped forward and bent down to his level, his eyes flashing red at the dog who instantly calmed down.

"Aren't you a good boy?" He grinned at the dog who had his tongue out, ready to lick him. Reid ran his hand through his hair, scratching him softly.

Stiles and Scott exchanged a look, frowning at the back of his head, "and you couldn't have done that earlier?"

"No," he tried to shove the dog away when it wanted to lick him, "don't do that, I don't know what the fuck you've eaten."

The dog instantly stopped, retracting his tongue before he began rubbing his head against Reid's hand. The hybrid turned to look at Scott and Stiles, "it was fun seeing you two getting all scared because of Apollo."

"Apollo?" Stiles repeated with a scoff of disbelief, "really? Who the hell is that? Is that the dog? Do you know him? How do you—"

"— Calm down," Reid chuckled, standing up, "he kinda told me? I mean, he did not speak but... it's hard to explain. It's whatever." He grabbed a book and sniffed it earning questioning looks from Stiles, "anything?"

"Nope," he tossed the book back on the table, "all I'm getting is that dog," His eyes fell on a frame and he grabbed it, narrowing his eyes at the picture of two girls with a doll.

"Who are we looking for again?" He asked the two boys as Stiles replied, "a girl named Malia Tate."

Reid's fingers involuntarily traced the face of one of the girls, taking his lower lip in between his teeth as he felt a sense of familiarity for reasons he was unaware of.

"Reid?" Scott's voice broke him out of his trance. He turned to him, "yeah?"

"Are you okay?" He asked, "you zoned out."

"I'm fine," he placed the photo back on the table, watching as Stiles snapped a picture of it using his phone. "It's just..." His eyes flickered to the photo again, "I don't know, it's weird. Let's just go."

The three boys got out of their cars to meet up with the Sheriff who had also parked his own car and was waiting for them. Scott shot him an apologetic look, "I'm sorry. We tried as hard as we could. If it wasn't so long ago, we might have been able to do it."

"It's okay," he gave them a reassuring nod, "it was a long shot. In fact, it was a pretty terrible idea. I think I just ripped a wound open in that poor man. I never should have brought you guys here. I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for trying, all right?"

"Yeah," Reid muttered as the Sheriff patted him on the shoulder before getting in his car. He looked at Stiles, "see you at home," and then he drove off.

"Aren't there a lot of cases that go unsolved?" Scott asked Stiles once his car was out of sight. Stiles shrugged, "yeah, I just think this is one he felt like he could've figured out right now."

"Okay well, why is it so important now?" Reid questioned with curiosity making Stiles sigh, "he wants to be able to solve one more... while he's still Sheriff."

Scott furrowed his brows, surprised, "what do you mean, still Sheriff?"

Stiles shot Scott a look before telling them how Rafael was trying to get his father fired.