67

LYDIA LED REID to an empty area behind the school. Once they were alone, she sighed and turned to look at him.

It was complete silence between them for the next few seconds until she finally spoke, "you haven't answered my texts or calls. You didn't even bother to call back— or read those texts for that matter and you come to school late, looking like you haven't slept so I'm just gonna assume that you're not okay."

"I'm fine," he brushed off her concern, "can we just go back—"

"— No," she cut him off with a shake of her head and took a step closer. She grabbed his hands and held them in hers, "there's something wrong with you, I can feel it. Talk to me, what's wrong?"

He sighed through his nose, "fuck, fine. It's my mom."

"I figured," she muttered, "what happened?"

"I just wanted to listen to her talk, y'know? See what excuses she had to feed," he lowered his voice, uncertain that nobody was listening, "I thought that she regretted it— leaving, I mean. But she..." He took a deep breath, "she doesn't. In fact, she's really damn happy that she left. She doesn't even care. When I told her how crazy dad got and part of the shit he did, she thought I was lying. And then she had the fucking audacity to pull the 'I'm- your-mother' card at me, told me that I should respect her and what not. And then she said that she was gonna move in my house and I was gonna let her."

"And what did you do?" Lydia asked, running the pad of her thumb on the back of his hand. He looked down at her then at their hands before replying, "I didn't hurt her, if that's what you're assuming."

"What– no, I'm not!" She defended with a quick shake of her head, "I swear, I didn't assume that."

"It's fine if you did," he breathed out a chuckle, "that thought did cross my mind too but instead, I just threatened her. Told her if I see her again, I'll..." He trailed off, clearing his throat.

Lydia raised a brow, tilting her head to the side as she urged him to continue, "you'll what?"

"Hurt her," he muttered, his eyes looking at anywhere but her. She frowned, "that's not what you said, is it?"

He scoffed, "what makes you think that it's not?"

"You're not looking at me," she replied, hiding her amusement, "in fact, you're avoiding my stare completely."

He then looked at her to prove a point, "I'm not. See?"

"Okay," she hummed, "then tell me what you said to her. He clicked his tongue, his eyes itching to look at the sky or anywhere but her. "I..." He cleared his throat and closed his eyes before taking a deep breath then opened them again, staring right at her with slight annoyance, "fine, I said I'll kill her."

"Rip out her heart? Like you did with Ms Blake?" The strawberry blonde questioned, not seeming to be fazed at his answer at all. If she had to be honest, she was used to hearing Reid doing stuff like that. "And who the fuck told you about that?"

"Scott," she shrugged and just as he opened his mouth, about to say something, she quickly added, "but it's fine, I asked. Look, I don't care what you did, okay? I just wanted to know. She deserved what she got and so does your mom, by the way. She seems like quite the bitch."

"Yeah," he nodded with an amused smile, "she kind of literally is a bitch."

"That's true," she chuckled but stopped once she remembered something. Bringing a hand to his face, she traced her fingers under his eyes and frowned, "did you sleep last night?"

"Not really," he muttered, dropping his hands from hers to place them on either sides of her hips to draw her closer instead.

"That's bad," she moved her hand to a side of his face, letting it stay there. He only hummed in response, his eyes flickering from hers to her lips, "I'm sure it is."

"No, seriously," she tried to ignore what he was doing, "werewolf— I mean, hybrid or not, your brain needs sleep."

"Technically, I'm not a hybrid yet, I still need to die." He informed, his lips curling up when she shook her head, "and you're not going to die anytime soon."

"Since those words are coming from a Banshee, it's probably true." He spoke, a hint of amusement in his voice which had her roll her eyes. "I'm serious. Even though you're probably gonna come back anyway. I don't want to have to see you die."

"You won't have to," at that point, he had drawn her impossibly closer. "You should know that I won't let anything happen to you either. Like never ever."

"Good," she muttered, her other hand had somehow found it's way to the back of his head as she began to play with his hair.

"Good," he repeated for the fun of it before lowering his lips to hers. One of his hands were now on her jaw as he tilt her head a bit to the side to give him better access to her mouth. He bit her lower lip, forcing her to open up. As soon as she did, he slid his tongue inside, softly stroking hers. They did not pull away until they were both desperate to breathe.

"We should probably go back," Lydia breathed out, reaching out to fix his hair. "We should definitely continue this though," she added, giving him a suggestive look, "so, your place after school?"

"How about yours?" He was quick to ask. When she shot him a questioning look, he sighed, "my house's kind of a mess right now. I... I was kinda mad last night and trashed the whole place so..."

"Okay," she smiled, "that's fine. My mom's probably not gonna be home tonight anyway so my place it is." He nodded, locking his fingers with hers as they walked back to where the others were.