43

REID HAD NO IDEA what was happening outside as he stayed inside. Allison, unfortunately, didn't include him in her plan to get outside and fight the alphas, not that he minded. He was still somewhat recovering.

Instead, he began walking around, looking for Deucalion as he knew he was somewhere around, lurking in the shadows— something he has always liked to do because he was dramatic or so Reid thought.

Just as he turned in a corner, he bumped into Scott who looked rather anxious and scared. "What happened?"

"My mom," Scott responded, "she's on the roof."

"I'll come with you," Reid suggested earning a nod from Scott as the two made their way to the roof.

They looked around but Melissa wasn't there. "Mom?" Scott called out, hoping that she'd reply or show herself. He didn't want to think of the worse but he knew, deep down what happened.

"They're gone," a familiar voice replied, walking out of the dark as he revealed himself. Reid stared at the man, clenching his jaw but he said nothing.

Deucalion spared his nephew a look. He has heard about how badly he's been hurt and part of the hunt for Jennifer was for him as well. He wanted to kill her for what she did although he'd never admit that out loud. Reid was his responsibility.

"Guardians, Scott." Deucalion continued, "if you were with me,  I could've told you what it meant. I could've warned you." He glanced at Reid then back at Scott, "let me help you, Scott— let's help each other. You help me catch her, and I'll help get your mother and Stiles' father back."

Just then, Stiles reached the room, breathing heavily. "Scott! Scott, don't do this! Don't go with him!"

Scott shot his friends a wary look, "I don't know what else to do..."

"No, there's g—" Stiles took a deep breath, "Scott, there's gotta be something else, okay? We always-we always have a plan B."

"Not this time..." Scott shook his head defeatedly.

Deucalion allowed a smile to reach his lips as he stared at Reid, "what about you?"

Reid pursed his lips and shook his head, "never."

"Come on, Reid." Deucalion sighed, "would you rather stick with a dying pack? Is this what you want? Really?"

"Anything other than being in your pack, yeah." The hybrid muttered with a shrug.

"Stubborn, as always." Deucalion muttered, "well, all right then. Scott, come on."

"Scott—" Stiles was cut off by Scott, "— I'm gonna find your dad, I promise."

With that, Scott walked away with Deucalion while Reid and Stiles stayed behind and watched their disappearing figures, not knowing what else to do. Scott made his choice, he was desperate.

"Maybe he has a plan?" Reid muttered, breaking the silence that settled between the two once they left.

"Maybe," Stiles's voice was just as low as Reid's, "he'll come back. I know it."

**

Reid returned to his house and took a quick shower, not acknowledging Lydia who was still in his bed, the TV turned on as she watched some movie. Once he was done showering, he wore a loose shirt and a pair of sweatpants before getting into the bed, beside her.

It was crazy how comfortable they made each other feel. The strawberry blonde turned her head to look at him, "are you okay?"

"Fine," he brushed her off, "I— it's Scott. He went with Deucalion."

"What?" Lydia's lips parted at the newfound information, "why?"

"He told him he could help him find his mom and Stiles's dad," Reid muttered, letting out a sigh as he fixed his eyes on the ceiling, ignoring the TV that was playing, "thing is, he might. But at the same time, I feel like he's winning, y’know? And that's the last thing I want."

"Why?" She asked, her hand which was holding the remote turned off the TV as she gave him her full attention, "I mean, if he's your uncle and you clearly have some... weird ttachment to him, why do you hate him? What did he do to you?"

"He left," was all what he told her. Lydia said nothing, knowing that he wasn't going to say more and she didn't mind that. Instead, she snuggled closer to him and placed her head on his chest. He did not mind that which made her smile once he wrapped an arm around her and pulled her closer. While she slept, he listened to the steady sound of her heartbeat and weirdly fell asleep as well.