Chapter 17: Underground Operations Pt. 2

Last chapter was getting longer than I wanted so, I split it in two, I didn't want to at first, but it was above 4300 words by the end there, here we are. Anyways enjoy.

The fire still burned in front of the four resting around it, Oobleck above the four on a ledge. Ruby still on watch. But three of the four weren't resting as one would think. Yang finally spoke in a whisper, not wanting to wake her temporary pillow.

Yang: "Blake? Are you awake?"

Blake: "Yeah."

Yang: "Why do you think he asked us about being a Huntress? Like...what was he trying to say?"

Blake: "Maybe he was just curious."

Yang shifts enough to look at Blake without waking Phoenix.

Yang: "Ya think?"

Blake: "No."

Yang shifts back to her original position. Phoenix wakes, but keeps his eyes closed.

Yang: "Weiss? Are you awake?"

Weiss: "Of course I'm awake! You two are talking."

Yang and Blake shush Weiss, after a few seconds they continue.

Weiss: "...And I think he...When I said I wanted to honor my family's name, I meant it. But...it's not what you think. I'm not stupid. I'm fully aware of what my father has done with the Schnee Dust Company. Since he took control, our business has operated in a...moral grey area."

Blake: "That's putting it lightly."

Weiss: (sits up) "Which is why I feelbthe need to make things right! If I had taken a job in Atlas, it wouldn't have changed anything. My father wasn't the start of out name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it."

Weiss lays back down.

Blake: "All my life, I fought for what I thought was right. I had a partner named Adam. More of a mentor, actually. He always assured me that what we were doing would make the world a better place. But of course, his idea of a perfect future turned out to be...not perfect for everyone."

Phoenix has been awake and listening. Phoenix opens his eyes and looks to Blake.

Phoenix: "Total extermination of all those considered traitors of the White Fang and Humans, right?"

The three girls are surprised that he's awake.

Phoenix: "When you have a Yang moving around on top of you, it is hard to stay asleep."

Phoenix looks at Yang who smiles at him.

Blake: "You've heard about Adam before, Phoenix, so you knew what he wants, but, I joined the academy because I knew Huntsman and Huntresses were regarded as the most noble warriors in the world. Always fighting for good. But I never really thought past that. When I leave the Academy...What will I-? How can I undo so many years of hate."

Phoenix: "Don't think on it too much, if being around Summer has taught me anything, it's that there's times to trust your brain and times to trust your heart, you followed your heart and here you are, don't think on it much more than that, we're all only first years after all."

Blake: "Helped me again, Rebel."

Phoenix: "Don't make it a constant, Chesire."

Blake: "Chesire?"

Phoenix: "You're a cat and you can disappear from sight when needed. If you don't like it, I can come up with a different nickname for ya."

Blake: "No, it's fine, just unexpected is all."