Special Chapter 3: Sworn Protection

Phoenix sits in the trees, today is Beacon Initiation. He knows Ruby and Yang are both going to be in this initiation, he did make a promise and he is going to keep it even if it kills him. He takes the axe, rifle, scythe hybrid off his hip and looks down at it. He pulls the hood of his cloak up and puts the axe back on his belt as he hears one student scream from being launched, he stands up and smiles.

Phoenix: "Showtime."

Phoenix hops from tree to tree, he crouches on a branch and watches Yang punch an Ursa away, a final Ursa comes up and a girl in a black bow handles it.

Yang: "I had that one. Guess we're teammates now then."

Blake: "Blake Belladonna."

Yang: "Yang Xaio Long, let's get going."

Phoenix smiles and leaps away making one small noise, Blake's cat ears twitch under her bow as she hears the noise and looks to the tree Phoenix was previously. Yang looks back at Blake.

Yang: "You coming or what?"

Blake: "Yeah, just thought I heard something."

Yang: "Weird."

(A bit later)

Phoenix is trying to find Ruby anywhere in the forest, then he hears screaming from...above? He looks up and sees a speck of red and white on top of a Nevermore.

Phoenix: "Oh dear."

He follows the Nevermore as it flies to the temple then Ruby jumps from the Nevermore.

Phoenix: "Oh for fucks sake."

Phoenix gets ready to jump and catch Ruby so she doesn't go splat when a blode haired boy comes flying from nowhere and intercepts her and they both slam into a tree. Ruby jumps from the tree she's in and lands beside Yang.

Yang: "Ruby?"

Ruby: "Yang!"

The two go to hug but are seperated by Nora.

Nora: "Nora!"

Pyrrha is running from a Deathstalker that followed her all the way to the clearing.

Blake: "Did she just run all the way here with a Deathstalker on her tail?"

Yang: "I can't take it anymore Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something crazy happens again!?"

Phoenix sits down on the branch he's on and breathes a sigh of relief until he hears another scream from above.

Weiss: "How could you leave me?!

Ruby: "I told you to jump!"

Blake: "She's gonna fall."

Ruby: "She'll be fine."

Ren: "She's falling."

Jaune catches the falling Weiss and floats in the air for approximately three seconds before they both fall to Remenant, with Weiss landing on top of Jaune.

Weiss: "My hero."

Jaune: (groans) "My back..."

Pyrrha gets thrown to the group by the Deathstalker.

Yang: "Great! The gang's all here! Now we can die together!"

Ruby: "Not if I can help it."

Ruby runs at the Deathstalker taking out Cresent Rose in its scythe form.

Yang: "Ruby, wait!"

Phoenix wonders if he should really uphold that promise since Ruby clearly seems to want to go to an early grave. Phoenix watches as Ruby is smacked away by the Deathstalker and then pinned by a Nevermore feather.