Chapter 55: Stay Down

Fuck it, here we go.

Crimson lightning crackles in the sky above the battlefield the snow picking up in correspondence with the natural disaster on the other side of Mantle battling his inner and outer demons right now, that and the eerie ass fog is really making people lose heart, but for Team RWBY it is an experience, actually they're not even on the battlefield, they're back helping with evacuation keeping the grimm that had slipped past off the civilian's as best they can.

Nic's Switch Axe in Axe mode cleaves all in its way through as its user moves with the swings capitalizing on the momentum of each swing to cleave through the next.

Nic: "They just don't stop coming!"

Conrad: "That's what she said!"

Braydon: "Not the time!"

Conrad has a shield made of concentrated gravity that he's using to essentially collapse grimm in on themselves by throwing it like a frisbee, good thing about it being part of him is that it always comes back with each throw, Braydon despite the versatility his Semblance could give him uses his sword and shield to great effect, a tried and true combo just about every time. Even in the midst of combat and missing their fourth member they can still finction and even laugh at jokes in the midst of what for most people would be considered the end times, such as Jaune, specifically Jaune he's had quite a bit of training, refining his skills but that doesn't make this experience any less hellish for him, but with his team by his side he might just make it out alive, might. Qrow is generally away from the others but with his Semblance, it's probably a good thing.

A roar mixed with a rage filled scream as a claw slashes against the flat of a blade, a slight role reversal. Phoenix fueled by an uncontrollable rage, Willbreaker showing nothing but madness. Neither are technically themselves in this moment. Phoenix catches the blade with his left "hand" and pulls Willbreaker in grabbing him by the face and slamming him into the snow. Nothing seems to be able to get past the line Phoenix has created, lighting strikes anything that decides to be brave enough to try and reach the Mantle. Phoenix drags Willbreaker through the snow, and throws him into the air, Phoenix launches himself at Willbreaker and slashes his claw across Willbreaker's chest, hitting him so hard he gets slammed into the ground and bounces then is grabbed by the hair and thrown. Chains of silver flame wrap Willbreaker up and Phoenix raises his left hand making a blade of the very same silver flames, with a roar he slashes downwards, the chains exploding. Phoenix stands slightly hunched over, while breathing heavily, silver scales are formed around his left eye and his left eye completely crimson with the outline of his iris being white, his right is mostly crimson but his iris is still normal.

The grimm aren't moving, only seemingly watching the two battle on orders from Willbreaker knowing that they'll just be destroyed by the literal line in the sand Phoenix has made to protect this side of Mantle. Willbreaker stands up once again and Phoenix lets out a low growl then both of them perk up hearing,

"You're not stopping me from seeing my baby boy!"

Both take a moment to look at where the voice is and see Daruka running through the snow towards them with Andras close behind.

Phoenix/Willbreaker: "Mom..? Dad..?"

Willbreaker still contained at least a few of Phoenix's childhood memories even if only vague, but even he can tell that would be his mother and father. Phoenix turns completely, almost forgetting that Willbreaker is there, the crimson that had begun overtaking both his eyes, disappears as his mother closes in and wraps him in a hug. It doesn't feel real at first, how could it? He's believed them dead for so long, that now that it's here. He doesn't really believe it. But slowly he hugs back, making sure not to accidentally hurt her with his new clawed left hand. His aura disappears leaving only the scales and clawed hand. Willbreaker approaches not really knowing what to do or say.