Chapter 26: Loss & Rebuilding

Phoenix tried to move out of the way, but got body slammed by Summer as the bone spikes stab into her arms and legs, she screams in pain as she begins getting dragged into the portal. Phoenix runs back to her and grabs onto her trying his hardest to pull her back.

Phoenix: (tears welling up) "I won't let you get taken from me!"

Summer: (stuggling) "Let go Phoenix, you're going to get pulled in too."

Phoenix: (tears falling from his eyes) "I won't let you go! You're not leaving me!"

Summer gets pulled from his arms and into the portal as he falls to the ground.

Phoenix: "No...No, no, no, NO!"

Phoenix screams out as he cries, breaking down. He curls up, crying as RWBY, JNPR, CFVY, the Hunter's, Qrow, Raven, Ozpin, and Glynda come out of the crowd that formed and approach Phoenix. Phoenix raises his head and looks at them.

Qrow: "Kid, what happened, where's Summer?"

Phoenix: "She's gone...it should've been me! Not her! It's not fair!"

Phoenix slams his fists into the ground creating cracks where they hit. The realization hits Ruby and Yang that their mother has been taken from them causing them to begin crying.

Ozpin: "Phoenix, will you just accept that she was taken? Or will you stand up and fight just as you have?"

Phoenix: "I know what she'd want me to do, I just don't know if I can without her."

Ozpin sighs and cracks Phoenix upside the head with his cane, knocking Phoenix onto his back. Phoenix lays there, holding his cheek.

Glynda: "Ozpin!"

Phoenix: "I'll be fine, Ms. Goodwitch. I kinda needed to get hit upside the head."

Ozpin: "You know what you've have to do now?"

Phoenix: "Yeah, fight like hell, till I can't fight anymore."

Ozpin offers a hand to Phoenix.

Ozpin: "I don't think heroes deserve to be on the ground do they?"

Phoenix: (takes Ozpin's hand) "I'm no hero."

Ozpin pulls Phoenix to his feet and gestures to the crowd around, human and faunus all staring at the group.

Ozpin: "I believe the people of Vale would tend to disagree with you there. Go and speak to them, they're willing to listen."

Phoenix nods and steps to the front, all eyes on him.

Phoenix: No megaphone or anything, I'll just have to project my voice really well.

Phoenix: "I want to start by saying...I'm sorry, a lot of you have lost family, friends, your homes, your places of business."

Phoenix gets down to his knees.

Phoenix: "I'm wholly sorry for your losses, and I hope you can forgive me, but that is your decision."

Phoenix is groveling for forgiveness from those he just saved for something he had no control over, it was the Alatreon's fault, yet he was begging for forgiveness for not being able to save those things. It takes the people of Vale a back, to see this. After a few minutes Phoenix stands back up.

Phoenix: "This is a tragedy, without a doubt, but people of Vale, human or faunus, it doesn't matter, the monsters and grimm don't care what we are, we're just food to them. What I ask is that despite everything, we all have to work together to rectify this, don't we?"