Chapter 40: Back from the Brink

The Beacon Academy auditorium is filled with Huntsmen, Huntresses, and Guild Hunters. Ozpin steps on stage along with the Guild Master.

Ozpin: "Thank you all for joining us today for this urgent mission. I will keep this brief, a new type of grimm has been spotted on the island of Patch, I have called you all here today to be sent out on investigation of the island and report back to us with whatever you find."

GM: "Your orders are similar hunters, the Sapphire Star, Phoenix Igantia has already gone to the island, establish contact with him and continue the investigation."

Ozpin's scroll gets a call, he takes it out and looks to see it's Phoenix calling. Ozpin answers.

Ozpin: "Go ahead Phoenix."

Phoenix: "Ozpin thing's are worse than they seem here, there's this miasma covering the whole island, it acts as an infection that takes over the victims. Ruby has fallen victim to it, I'm not sure who else has, but be advised do not come to the island without protective gear. I repeat do not come to the island without protec-"

Phoenix goes silent and Ozpin can hear him cursing.

Ozpin: "What's wrong Phoenix?"

Phoenix: "I've been spotted I've got to move, but do not come to the island, for the love of Oum."

The call ends and Ozpin puts away his scroll woth a grim expression.

GM: "What did Phoenix say?"

Ozpin: "We need hazmat gear, there's an airborne miasma that takes over its victims."

The guild master looks down then turns to the Huntsmen, Huntresses, and Guild Hunter's.

GM: "All of you, please await further instructions, we aren't to move out yet based on new information present by the Sapphire Star on site."

(Island of Patch)

Phoenix sprints through town trying to lose the infected that spotted him. He parkcores from building to building as the infected run along the street.

Phoenix: "Persistent as hell."

???: "I think we both know where they get it from."

Phoenix looks to where his own distorted voice came from, but can't get a good look at him before he gets kicked off the roof. Phoenix makes his armor appear as he comes down on the infected, he lands on one softening his landing, rolling off the person he jumps using one a springboard and leaps over the group onto a truck, he looks back to the roof of the building and sees a dark mirror of himself standing there with an unnaturally wide grin.

Willbreaker: "Nice to finally meet ya, buddy!"

Phoenix: "Who the hell are you!?"

Willbreaker: "Oh where are my manners, my name is Willbreaker."

Willbreaker makes a top hat out of a black substance and does a bow while tipping the hat.

Phoenix: "You're the one behind this all I'm guessing."

Willbreaker: (rises up and turns the hat into a cane) "Well look who has brains in that thick skull of his. Anyways, since you're busy there's a bunker about...ehhhh, north, northeast-ish, find your way there. Toddles~!"

Willbreaker walks off cackling and disappears leaving a very confused Phoenix.

Phoenix: "Did he just say fucking toddles..."

Phoenix looks down at the infected then figures out the cardinal directions then heads due north to northeast for a while avoiding the infected and taking down grimm with his guns. He eventually stumbles upon an abandoned bunker, well overgrown is more accurate, vines have been clearly moved to allow entry into the bunker. Phoenix pries the door open and enters the dark bunker, he creates a ball of flame that lights his path down the hall of the bunker. Phoenix travels downwards the metal steps creak accompanied by the clank of his armor and boots as he descends into the bunker, he comes to a section that splits off into two directions left and right. He sees metal signs that have rusted making it incomprehensible what they once said. He turns to the right and travels down the hall, he comes to a dead end that shows multiple rooms, a few of the doors still seem to have working hinges, he pries one door open and looks inside finding a simple room, a notebook sits on the floor with torn paper littering the room, a layer of dust covers the room much like the rest of the bunker. Phoenix picks up the notebook and wipes off the dust, it has no name on the front which is odd enough. He opens it to the first page.