Chapter 17 (Rose)

Donnie and I are back in his lab. He's preparing the bow to show me while I'm collecting the arrows I made.

I made about 16 last night before I passed out on the couch. And I'm excited to show him.

Donnie closes the secret room and puts some stuff on the bed. He presses a button on the wall and a table pops up in front of the couch.

"Wanna go first?" Donnie asks. 

I nod and put the arrows on the table. 

I lay them out by which one is which. I made sure to color code it so I wouldn't get them mixed up. 

"So I made the net arrow and a couple of my own as well, also the sleeping gas one." I say handing him a white one.

"So this one is the net arrow which should turn into a net when it recognizes it's two feet from a person. That should give it enough time to open but not enough time for the person to react."

He looks at it and nods.

I move on to the purple one. "This one is the sleeping gas. I could only find gas in the color purple last night so I colored it purple." I see Donnie twitch out of the corner of my eye.

I hold out a green one. "This one makes the fog. I don't remember why I made it green but it looks cool to me so..." Donnie sets the white one down and takes the green one from my hand.

"These are so intricately designed. I don't think i've seen this kind of work. Even in my own." He says flatly.

I start blushing so I quickly turn around and grab the last one sitting by his computer monitor. It's in a leather pouch so that I can wear it on my leg as a precaution if something happened.

"Be careful when taking these next ones out. They are still a bit finicky." I watch the pouch as I hand it to him.

Donnie opens it up and gently takes out my device. 

"It's a Bolas." I say as if he already doesn't know what it is.

It has two weights on either end of a string. You're supposed to swing it around and it wraps itself around the person you throw it at. I made these a lot smaller because I'm just looking for it to touch them.

"It's supposed to taze them?" Donnie says looking at the almost microscopic divots I put into it.

"Yes. It's supposed to be a last resort if I need it." I say. 

"That's why it's in a leather pouch." Donnie thinks to himself out loud.

I nod. 

"Well. These were made very well and I think will work very nicely with the bow I made." Donnie says smiling at my work.

He pivots on his heel and picks up the stuff on his bed. 

"So I made some major modifications to this bow." Donnie says as he holds the bow in front of me. 

It looks as if it has a purple maze drawn on it. Like the staff I saw on the back of his shell when we were flying. The string looks strong and stable enough to pull on heavy arrows if needed.

"I made it so with a press of a button," He pushes a button on the side and the entire bow shrinks into a small metal piece. Just bigger than a double A battery. "It can shrink." He finishes and hands me the bow.

"Woah. How did you do that?" I ask him as I look at the small thing in my hand. There is a white button on the side that supposedly should make it big again.

Donnie smiles. "Not telling." 

I push the button and the bow quickly bounces and becomes the full bow again.

"I made it so that when you push the button it closes slow but opens fast in case you need it." Donnie adds. "Push that button right there to see what else it does." He says pointing to another purple button on the other side of the bow.

I press it and the bow jostles slightly as a clear looking shield pops out of the center of the bow.

"That shield is stronger than you think. It's made out of a few extra micro-bots I had in beta and they worked for this so I used them." Donnie says grinning.

Its about 3 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet tall. It covers my whole top half of my body and if I needed I could crouch and fit behind it.

"Another reason why it uses micro-bots is so that when you shoot arrows through it the micro-bots move around it and you can shoot it through them." Donnie adds as I look at it further.

I'm about to thank him when Donnie gets an alert on his watch.

"Looks like you might be able to test it out today if you want." Donnie says frowning at his wrist pad.