Chapter 5: Belle

Ares. Calum was claimed by Ares. I didn't see that coming. I don't think anyone did. A singer boy, no one seeming too strong or too tough.

But the way he stood up for me... that was so incredibly brave. I never really expected someone to stand up for me like that, no one had ever gone as far as he had. No one had ever stood up or me, and cared about me at that moment like he had-

No.

I wasn't going to get attached to him, some guy that's going to flirt around with me, make me fall in love with him, and then break my heart.

Just like Darius, just like the guy that ruined my life. I can't get attached to him because people change and people leave. Like my dad who gave up on even trying to raise me, like every foster parent I ever had who couldn't bother to stay around, like every guy I ever liked who treated me like dirt.

But Calum had stood up for me, and he does seem like the kind of guy I'd be friends with, so yes.

We can be friends.

That's all.

Suddenly, Calum just ran. I wasn't sure where, but by the direction it looked around the burrier into the woods.

I started to go after him, but Luke grabbed my arm, "Where the hell do you think you're going?" he asked.

"Where do you think?" I asked.

"After Calum? Why would he want to talk to you? How long have you been his best friend, because I have for years. If anyone should be going, it should be us." He gestured towards Michael and Ashton.

"We may not be the best of friends, but he just did something for me that made this happen to him, and it's the very least I can do to repay the favor." I spoke with the same sophisticated elegance I tried to plastered into my voice everyday. I wanted to act like myself around these guys, but I couldn't, my real self was a constantly cursing, sarcastic smartass who spoke her mind. Sadly, that part of me was buried after Darius, that douchebag. And everything else in my past, really.

"I'm sorry, but you can repay this to him another time-"

"I know this camp better than you, and I know where to find him. I'll bring him back to you all soon enough." I said calmly, but with force.

He let go of my arm, looking at me oddly, "Fine, but only if you stop talking like you're from the Renaissance. It's weird." His odd look turned into a light smile.

I couldn't help but smile back, "Thank you." It was like he had read my mind, through all my strange ways to cover insecurities, like someone who got what it was like to be someone like me. And then I ran.

"Calum, where are you?" I called out, suddenly my voice not sounding that weird elegant way, but like myself.

"I'm here." He muttered.

I moved to the sound, which was him by Thalia's tree, looking as if he'd thrown up, his face a greyish pale, and his normally playful smile formed into a frown of despair.

"What's wrong? Why ddid you run off like that?" I asked.

"It's too much. I've never been stressed like this. Never in my life. And now... accepting this world exists, finding out about all of these lies that I never could have thought existed, it's all piling on top of me, and I still don't understand how any of this is real. I mean Michael and Luke and Ashton half god? Me? How can people like you exist-" he quickly corrected himself, "like us?"

"The world, the legends the Greeks and Romans told, they weren't crazy, the people who said they were are the true idiots. This world is hidden, and now you're a part of it. And I know it's hard to let go of what you had to leave, but camp will be home, it became my home-"

"When?" he asked.

"When, what?" I questioned.

"Did you come here." He added.

"I was eleven." I replied simply.

"But how? How did you learn?" he asked.

I but my lip, I preferred not to talk about my past as much as I could, about everything that had happened.

"Please, I want to know." He begged, his eyes pleading.

"My dad did bad things, that's all I ever knew. He couldn't take care of me, he never even understood who my mom was, so he left me to an orphanage. From there it was foster home to foster home, to nightmare to nightmare. Then the creepy Athena kid spider dream crap started and no one would even accept me as one of the kids they temporarily took care of. So I ran, and I didn't stop running. I found Percy and Mrs. O'leary, and they took me to what I now call home. I thought it'd take me forever to adjust, but this place is home, and it has been since the moment I was claimed. So please, don't act like it's a prison. And anyway, I'll be here, and so will Caspian. Everything's going to be alright, hear me?" I finished.

He didn't respond, but he lunged his arms around me, and I could have sworn I heard him cry. I held my arms around him, and I didn't move. For now this is what he needed.

And who was I kidding?

I was already hopelessly attached.

Thank you very much for reading this chapter, and I hope you enjoyed it (is that literally all I ever have to say?) so continue reading for more stuff, and find out what happens next in this fucked up fan fiction, shit is about to go down. Kay, thanks.