Chapter 30: Percy

It had been a long day all in it's own-- I had been out of the camp for maybe an hour or so saying hello to my mom, insisting Annabeth stay put, as the twins were due in two weeks and I wanted her to rest... when I got the call-- which really wasn't supposed to happen, so I knew it was an emergency.

"What's up?" I ask.

"It's Annabeth, she's in labour." a voice I recognized-- Will's voice said through the phone before hanging up immediately.

"On fucking hour and this happens." I utter to myself, switching the car around and racing back as quickly as I could manage, not caring to follow any speed limits.

The car ride was filled with anxiety, I felt like shit for not being here as this happened, but knowing Annabeth, she'd handle this better on her own-- she's strong enough to.

I'm sure I ran at least three stop lights, but I didn't care because by the time I got back to the camp-- the news was ready.

As I rushed into the infirmary I was greeted by Will's solemn face.

"What's wrong?" I ask looking at the multiple distressed faces near me, "what's wrong?" I repeat.

"They-they're dead, Percy. They were both born dead."

"You're kidding... you're fucking kidding." I run my hands through my hair.

"We tried everything... it just didn't work out."

"Is she okay?" I ask, my voice cracking from holding back the tears that were coming quickly.

"Annabeth... she's devastated, but she's okay, and she needs rest... the strain on her body was a lot so it's better off to let her get some sleep and let me work my magic, okay?"

"Okay." I say slowly before I rush out of the room in a panic, knowing Annabeth was asleep so I gave myself time to attempt and calm down, but nothing.

Nothing at all.
I sobbed for what was probably hours in my old cabin and being in there only hurt more. The memories it brought back were painfully happy, painfully sad... hell out first time was in there after I thought I was done saving the stupid world... then Hera, then Tartarus... after all that I couldn't of deserved any better? AT ALL?

I knocked over my desk, knowing it was empty, but not caring in the slightest. It felt nice to destroy something.

But I only ended up crying more.

After another blast of time that felt like days of sobbing, I bit my lip, I was determined not to cry. Not again. For Annabeth, I couldn't. I breathed in deeply; I had to calm down. This happens to so many people daily... I can't give up hope yet... She could be dead too... but my children... they're gone...my only hope at a family... the family I always wanted...

It's gone.

I broke down.

I was sobbing harder by the second and my entire body was shaking.

"DON'T I DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS?" I screech into the void, hoping every fucking god up in Olympus could hear me.

"Percy?" A voice I recognize asks-- Caspian.

I don't respond as my cries continue.

"What's wrong with you? Did something happen, I literally have no idea-"

"they're dead." I sob out, not expecting any remorse, just a silent frown and an exit.

"Oh no... you don't mean the boys do you?" I nod. "Oh no, no, no, no. How? I know we aren't on the best terms, but... gods, I knew how much they meant to you. Is Annabeth okay?"