Chapter 7

Whilst Eddie sat in the waiting room, Rachel had been wheeled into a cubicle. Doctors and Nurses surrounded her, towering over her, shouting words to one another that she didn't understand. Monitors were being attached to her, and she felt her skin being poked and prodded with needles. No one took any notice of her when she screamed as they pressed painfully on all the places on her body that were broken and bruised. Her ribs, her wrist, her head, her stomach, and her back. She suddenly felt like an object of fascination because of her injuries, rather than a person.

She began to sob as the doctors and nurses continued to bustle around her. Her tears blurred out the face of the Nurse who was now standing over her.

"Rachel? Hi love, my name is Helen, I'm a Nurse"

Rachel blinked in response

"We're going to examine you externally and internally, Rachel and see what injuries you have so we can treat them, ok?" the nurse explained gently

Rachel nodded, her words not really processing in her brain.

The next thing she knew, her legs were being pulled into stirrups by a pair of rough, heavy hands. She whimpered, looking up at the nurse, who gave her a kind smile that offered no comfort to Rachel at all.

"It's alright, love. Just lie still and we'll be done before you know it"

Rachel shook her head frantically, causing pain to erupt in her skull. She tried to move her legs out of the stirrups, but felt two hands holding her feet down. She screamed, desperately trying to move.

She closed her eyes, finding herself back in her office, Stuart on top of her, pinning her to the floor. She screamed again, writhing even though it caused her pain.

"Rachel? Rachel, calm down, it's ok, you're safe" the Nurse reassured, taking her hand into her own

Rachel sobbed, whimpering in pain. There was only one person she wanted to see right now, and she didn't even know where he was.

"Eddie" she whispered

"What's that love?" the Nurse frowned

"I want Eddie" she whispered

The nurse nodded, letting go of her hand and walking away, leaving Rachel alone.

Rachel didn't hear the nurse talking to the doctor, trying to persuade him to let Eddie be with her whilst they carried out the examinations. He reluctantly agreed. Had it not be for this circumstance, he wouldn't have allowed it.