Chapter 17

They drove back to Rachel's house in silence. Both were worried about the note from Stuart and had been glad to get out of the Hospital. Rachel desperately wanted to get home so she could change out of the itchy hospital gown and climb into her bed.

Whilst she wouldn't admit it, sitting in the car was incredibly uncomfortable. The roads of Rochdale weren't the smoothest; there were cracks and holes everywhere due to years of neglect. Each bump and uneven surface Eddie drove over sent a jolt of pain through her entire body.

Eddie could tell she was in pain, it made him want to drive faster to get her home, where she would be comfortable. He knew driving fast would only make things worse, so he refrained, remaining cautious and driving slower. The uneven paved roads caused him discomfort when driving, and he wasn't the one suffering from multiple injuries. He couldn't imagine the pain Rachel was feeling.

They both breathed a sigh of relief when they pulled into Rachel's drive and the car came to a gentle stop.

Her eyes scanned the front of the house, the memory of dragging herself out of her car the night before replaying in her mind. She closed her eyes, and Stuart was in front of her again. Her eyes shot open again.

"You ready to go in?" Eddie asked, breaking the silence

Rachel nodded

Eddie got out of the car first and walked around to the passenger side to help Rachel. She grimaced as she climbed out awkwardly, clinging onto Eddie tightly for balance.

It took 10 minutes for them to reach the front door. Rachel could barely walk, every step she took was agonising. She was grateful that Eddie had been so patient, taking each agonising step with her, whispering words of gentle encouragement and reassurance, holding her up so she wouldn't fall.

He helped her to lean against the wall whilst he unlocked the door with the key she'd given him. The door opened with ease, so he helped Rachel inside, closing the door behind them.

"Ok, let's get you settled" Eddie decided

Rachel nodded, turning around to put the bolt on the door back into place. She panicked, realising it had been broken. Eddie caught onto what she was looking at.

"I broke it last night. I had to kick the door in to get to you. Sorry Rach" he explained

As frustrating as it was, she didn't blame Eddie. He'd had to do it. It was the least of her problems.

"It's ok" she reassured

"I'll get you a new one and fit it for you" Eddie offered

Rachel raised an eyebrow at him

"Do you know how?"

Eddie smirked at her comment

"Of course I know how, I am a man you know?" He laughed

Rachel rolled her eyes

"A man should know how to tie a tie before learning how to install a lock on a door!" she teased with a small smile, thinking back to the Governor's meeting they'd had a few months ago when Eddie had, had trouble tying his tie and she'd had to help him

"I do know how to tie a tie... now" Eddie replied with a small laugh

Rachel chuckled a little, quickly regretting it as pain shot through her ribs. She winced, letting out a small whimper of pain.

"Are you due some more painkillers?" Eddie asked, looking on at her with concern

Rachel nodded

"Will you help me upstairs?" She asked