Chapter 58

BANG!

She ran through the school corridors blindly, following the noise, her heart filling with dread. She paused, looking around the pitch black hallway.

"EDDIE!!" She screamed, her voice echoing down the corridor

BANG!

Her heart thumped in her chest as she sprinted down the maze of halls, hoping she wasn't too late.

She approached the store room. Her legs threatened to give way as she viewed the sight before her. She put a hand to her mouth, muffling a pain-filled scream.

Eddie was lying on the floor, blood pooling out from the two bullet wounds in his chest. He lay there, motionless, eyes staring blankly at the ceiling.

She sank to her knees beside him, clawing at his arm with her hand, pleading with him to wake up.

"Please don't leave me" she whispered

Beside his limp body, was a baby. A tiny little infant, wrapped in a bundle of blankets. Rachel felt herself instantly reaching out for them.

As soon as her hand made contact with the blankets, she felt something wet and stick on her hand. She looked up.

The baby had turned into a puddle of blood.

She screamed, leaping to her feet, desperate to get out of the store room.

As she retreated, she felt her back make contact with something metal. She knew immediately it was a gun, she could feel the shape of it as it dug into her back.

She spun around, finding herself face to face with Stuart Hordley. He grinned as she whimpered in fear. The gun in his hand stared at her menacingly.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" She screamed

Stuart only grinned more, a cackle echoing from his mouth as his eyes burned into her own.

His head turned to the left. Rachel followed his gaze, her eyes falling on Earl and Denzil Kelly. They stood beside Stuart, the three of them sharing identical grins and cold, black eyes.

They backed her into a corner. She stumbled, tripping over Eddie's body, landing in the puddle of blood.

Stuart lifted the gun, pointing it at her stomach.

"Please" she whimpered

Stuart passed the gun to Earl.

She heard the deafening bang before she felt anything else.