Chapter 137

As the bell rang out for the start of the second lesson of the day, Rachel and Eddie headed downstairs towards Reception. They had arranged to meet Mr Evans, (the new Chair of the Board of Governors) before they began the meeting.

Eddie was dreading this meeting, mainly because he knew Rachel was going to resign. He really didn't want her to go, but changing her mind seemed to be impossible. He was also worried about what they were going to say about Earl Kelly and Maxine's death. It was going to be an intense meeting that was for sure.

Rachel resigning could go one of two ways with the Governors. They would either refuse her letter of resignation, or they would let her go without a fight. He knew which outcome Rachel wanted, and he knew which one he wanted. Eddie hoped they would persuade her to stay. He doubted it of course, but there was nothing wrong with trying to be hopeful. Even if they did say no, Rachel seemed adamant that she was going, so their opinions probably wouldn't change her mind.

Rachel was dreading this meeting too. If she was honest, she just wanted this whole day to be over and done with. She was tired, her head was pounding and she felt sick and lightheaded. Sitting in a room full of people wasn't going to help. But she had no choice. Resigning was the right thing to do; she didn't care what anyone else thought. She couldn't do this anymore, and that was final. She just hoped the Governors wouldn't put up a fight. If she had it her way, she'd hand her letter of resignation straight to Mr Evans and then she would be on her way. But it wasn't going to be as simple as that. It never was.

As she approached Mr Evans in Reception, she put on her best forced smile. She had only met Mr Evans twice since he had taken over as Chair of the Board. He seemed nice enough. Anyone was better than Ralph Mellor of course.

"Mr Evans, it's nice to see you again" she greeted, shaking his hand

"Hi, Rachel, Eddie" he replied, smiling politely at the two of them

"Hi" Eddie responded, shaking the other man's hand

"Are you going to tell me what this meeting is about?" Mr Evans asked, looking at Rachel

"Yes, absolutely. Follow me" Rachel nodded, leading the way down the corridor

When they arrived at the empty classroom that the meeting was being held in, Rachel was greeted by a handful of other members of the Board, as well as Candeece Smilie, who was looking rather confused as to why she had been summoned at the last minute.

"What's going on? I've got school dinners to be making!" she sighed, looking to Eddie as Rachel followed Mr Evans inside

"Hopefully, we're doing the right thing" was all Eddie could reply with

Candeece frowned at him, trying to work out what that meant. Eddie didn't know why he'd said that. For starters, this was Rachel's decision and hers alone. And it was far from the right thing to do.

Once everyone was settled in their seats, Mr Evans turned his attention to Rachel.

"Can we get on? There's no agenda, I assume, because you want to discuss recent events?"

"In part, yes" Rachel nodded hesitantly, swallowing the lump in her throat

Mr Evans nodded, clearing his throat.

"Obviously the LEA will compile its own report, but it won't hurt to show we're ahead of the game" he explained

"I'm thinking sweeping changes, a fresh look at everything," he continued

"Then again, change for changes sake never solved anything. The important thing now is to trust the people here to put Waterloo Road right" Eddie argued, interrupting Mr Evans