Chapter 117

One hour later...

Rachel and Eddie escorted Linda out into the car park, after having spent an hour chatting over coffee and tea.

Rachel was happy. The day had gone a lot more smoothly than she'd expected. The inspection had re-affirmed her belief that she was doing a good job and that Waterloo Road was thriving. Now, she couldn't wait to go home with Eddie so they could relax for a bit. Even though she was feeling less sick again, an evening on the sofa, in her pyjamas, with Eddie's arms wrapped around her, was very much needed tonight.

As they walked along, Rachel's phone started to ring. She paused, Eddie and Linda mirroring her. Rachel didn't recognise the number when she looked at the screen, but she had a strong feeling it was important.

"I'm sorry, I have to take this" she told them, walking away

"Hello?" she answered once she was far enough away from Eddie and Linda

"Hello, is that Rachel Mason?" A woman on the other end of the line spoke

Rachel frowned. She didn't recognise the voice. Whoever they were, they sounded formal and professional. Whoever it was, it didn't appear to be a social call.

"Yes, it is. How can I help you?" she asked

"I understand you're the Head Teacher of Waterloo Road, Miss Mason?"

"Yes, I am" Rachel confirmed, her confusion increasing

"Miss Mason, my name is Emily. I'm a Police Officer. I'm calling to inform you of an incident that has just taken place at 32, Brucknell Street. A young woman has been shot and killed, one of your students, I believe" the woman explained

There was a noise in the background. A heartbroken wail. Rachel froze. She knew that address. It was Steph's.

Oh god no, it couldn't be.

Not Maxine.

"Miss Mason? Are you still there?" the woman spoke, pulling Rachel from her thoughts

"Yes... yes, I'm here" she responded shakily

"The victim's name is Maxine Barlow. I believe her Mother, Steph Haydock, is a colleague of yours at Waterloo Road? She asked us to call you"

Rachel's heart was hammering against her chest. She wanted to throw her phone down, but her hand seemed to be glued to it, the device pressing harder and harder against her ear. Her legs were shaking as she wracked her brain, thinking of something, anything she could say. But there was nothing. No words escaped her lips.

She knew who the culprit was immediately, and it filled her heart with dread. Rachel had been warned over and over again about Earl Kelly and how dangerous he was. She hadn't listened, and now it was too late. Earl had killed Maxine, because she, Rachel Mason, had failed to spot his dangerous behaviour, even when it was staring her in the face.

She thought back to a few weeks ago, and what Tom had said to her. 'I'm right about Earl Kelly, Rachel. We haven't seen the half of what he's capable of'.

He'd been right all along.

"Miss Mason?"

Rachel snapped out of her daze.

Steph.

She had to get to Steph.

"I'll be there in twenty minutes" she told the Police Officer, hanging up the phone

She exhaled shakily, looking over to where Eddie was stood, just short distance away. He had his back to her as he chatted away to Linda. She couldn't tell him, not yet. She needed to investigate the situation herself first, keep it contained until she knew the facts. Once she knew more, she would tell him.