Chapter 52

Denzil stared in horror at the hole the bullet had made in the ceiling. The screaming outside echoed in his ears. He was in trouble now, he knew it. The Police were probably already in the building searching for him.

He ran down the corridor, his trainers squeaking against the polished floor. He ran and ran, his heart pounding against his chest, the gun still clutched tightly in his hand.

Finally, he stopped running, bursting through the doors of the store room. He curled up in the bookcase, holding the gun tightly. His body started to shake as he let out a frightened whimper. He'd never been so scared in his life. Earl had promised this would be a laugh, but he wasn't finding it funny. He'd promised him it would be ok, yet it seemed far from it. The Police were calling out to him from outside. He wished he hadn't listened to Earl. If this was the way to make people stop bullying him, it wasn't worth it. He didn't like being feared.

Rachel ran up and down the maze of corridors, desperate to find Denzil before the Police did. There was more to this, Rachel was sure of it. Denzil was a child, barely 11 years old. To her, he didn't seem dangerous, just lacking direction. She wanted to help him. He was her student, her responsibility. Every child in her care deserved the chance to be heard, listened to and helped. That included Denzil.

"You can't win Denzil, the building is completely surrounded"  Ralph Mellor's voice boomed from outside

Rachel rolled her eyes, the Police were only going to frighten him more making threats like that.

As she stood still in the corridor, trying to catch her breath, she heard a child whimpering softly. She followed the noise to the store cupboard

Every instinct within Rachel told her to run when she saw Denzil holding the gun, but not her conscience. She took a deep breath to steady herself as the Police continued to address Denzil from outside.

"Just leave the weapon and come out Denzil, it's the only option left"

"He's right, Denzil" she spoke softly

Denzil jumped, pointing the gun at Rachel. Rachel immediately stepped back, realising the potential danger she was in if she went about this the wrong way.

"It's ok, it's ok! Nobody's going to hurt you" she soothed gently

Her heart was beating at a million miles an hour. The gun was inches away from her. She had to stay calm, for Denzil's sake. The gun didn't matter. What mattered was Denzil and getting both herself and him out safely.

"You've got to listen to me, ok?" Rachel instructed, keeping her voice as calm as she could

Denzil was breathing heavily, but she had his attention.

"We can stop this, without anybody getting hurt" she continued, taking a small step towards him

"All you have to do is put down that gun, ok, Denzil? Put down that gun and you come with me"

"They're w-waiting for me... the Police" he stammered, tears running down his cheeks

She smiled gently in the hopes to comfort him and keep him calm.

"It's ok, Denzil. They don't want to hurt you. They're here to make sure nobody gets hurt, including you" she reassured

Denzil whimpered, the gun shaking in his hand.

"You could help them, if you put down that gun" Rachel persuaded gently

Denzil continued to breathe heavy and shaky breaths. He was hanging onto her every word. She was getting through to him.