Chapter 143

The only sound that could be heard in Charlotte's office was the sound of Janeece's foot tapping anxiously against the leg of her chair. The last thing she had expected when she had walked in for her session with Charlotte was to find Steph there waiting for her.

When Charlotte had explained what was going to happen, she had felt nervous and relieved. Now she was just nervous.

"Never thought I'd be coming to see a counsellor, hard boot like me" Steph chuckled, breaking the silence

Charlotte smiled, turning to Janeece.

"Why don't you start, Janeece? What was it you wanted to say to Steph?"

Janeece turned to Steph hesitantly. Steph smiled at her tearfully. Her mouth opened, but no words came out.

"Come on, cat got your tongue?" Steph encouraged with a soft laugh

Janeece couldn't find the words she wanted to say. Her eyes found their way to the floor.

"In which case, why don't I set the ball rolling?" Steph suggested

Janeece nodded.

"I just... wanted to know if she was angry. If Maxine was still angry with me"

"Why angry?" Charlotte asked

Steph swallowed the lump in her throat as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"We had a fight and- uhm- I was... too busy to listen to her. I just wonder what would have happened if I had. And then we didn't have time to make up, so... she probably hated me"

"No, Miss. It wasn't like that at all" Janeece reassured

"Well, you would say that" Steph sighed sadly

"But it's true! She was cooking. She said what a right mare she'd been to you. She wanted to make it up to you by making tea. She said you always got her something special when she was down"

Steph smiled weakly, choking back a sob.

"She said lots, Miss. She said that she couldn't have asked for a better Mum" Janeece continued

To Steph's surprise, Janeece's words brought comfort and peace to her. Maxine hadn't been angry at her. It didn't stop Steph from being angry at herself for her actions that day, but it brought her some comfort knowing that Maxine had died loving her, not being angry at her.

"The only person Maxine should have been angry with is me" Janeece mumbled tearfully

"Oh, don't be stupid!" Steph dismissed

"Why's that, Janeece?" Charlotte asked gently

"Why do you think? I left her in there with him. Even though she told me to go, I didn't have to"

"You left Maxine and Earl when she wanted you to, Janeece. But you were brave and you went back in knowing something wasn't right" Charlotte corrected

"It was too late! Earl had already lost it! If I hadn't of gone back in..." Janeece sobbed

"If you hadn't, what?" Charlotte questioned

Janeece exhaled shakily.

"Then... maybe he wouldn't have killed her" Janeece blurted, bursting into tears

Steph immediately reached out for Janeece's hand, wrapping it tightly in her own. She was seeing for herself the trauma of what Janeece had experienced from losing Maxine. Her heart broke in two knowing that she was suffering with so much pain. She wished she had been there for her before now.